Citroen fitted Aux belt tensioner assembly failed in 15,000

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

John,

they are fitting them to berlingo's and C5's and they havent changed at all.
as for design.

the one I have in the xantia is identical to the C5 spring, it seems Citroen havent learnt anything about quality these days, its more about making money. this is why I recently removed my xud diesel filter housing because a new one would have cost me £67 +vat I replaced it with a perfectly adequate unit made of metal and not plastic for £20 brand new.

There are many reasons why I shall never buy a modern car the main one is computerization my xantia is about as computerized as I want to get. The C5 with its electric suspension pumps that level the carwhen you load it wether or not the engine is running is a bit to technical for me and I cant run the Hdi engine on Veggie oil.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

C5 spring, it seems Citroen havent learnt anything about quality these days, its more about making money
Seems with these parts, it's become accepted that they may need changing when changing a belt... and so they stick with that design because it works 'about right' fo rthe after parts factories, which these days aren't seperate from Citroen when it comes to making money. Citroen engineering and design doesn't have control over production of every aspect of the car. These are owned by super-european money-making conglemerates.
I replaced it with a perfectly adequate unit made of metal and not plastic for £20 brand new.
Sounds good Nigel.
There are many reasons why I shall never buy a modern car the main one is computerization my xantia is about as computerized as I want to get
I agree. Mine too. I can live it at this level, but I'd prefer without. In fact, I think it's worse than uselss for soeone who maintains their own car: all it means to me is fear of keeping uit runnings in the future due to obselecense of extraneous eletrical units.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
Extinct

Re:

Post by Extinct »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:john, try idling the engine and pushing down on the spring behind the hydraulic pump it tensions the aux-belt, apparently the mounting holes
elogate over time if the rattle stops its the spring, its still hard to believe that it would wear out in 15,000 miles but it is possible that the assembly missed the hardening process somewhere. My new tensioner pulley is plastic and this surprises me for something that wizzes around at such speeds however my car should be several ounces lighter now and therfore go a bit faster :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just to let anyone know I did this with a screwdriver on my berlingo,and yeah straight away it stopped the flapping belt
So I bought a new spring took the old one off,and guess what the bottom bolt had sheared so took of the tensioner pulley
And bracket drilled out the broken bolt re assembled with new spring and it's fine,so before you buy a spring check for a sheared bolt :wink
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Xaccers »

John Plum wrote:If there were a MK III Xantia, maybe the roller would have been upgraded.
Unfortunately there is a Mk III Xantia

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=25789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a bucket nearby.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
John Plum
My Cars:

Re: Citroën fitted Aux belt tensioner assembly failed in 15,

Post by John Plum »

Blimey!!! is all I can think of.

XAntia's going fine (fitted anew tensioner a while back). I tend use it quite roughly , carrying things to build with, dumping rubble, pulling a trailer, 100% SVO all year round, and occasionally clean it nicely. I'm grateful. It's rather trouble free, after the effort I took to set it up in taking it over.

But, what I'd like is a 2CV, can I get one in Iran?
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual