Received Lexia but can't code in new injector code

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Received Lexia but can't code in new injector code

Post by JamesQB »

Hi,

Received the Lexia 3 interface from china today and had a couple of hours play on the C3 today. Successfully erased fault codes, of which there were 3 turbo ones probably caused by seized turbo (now fixed and back on).

Tried to code in new injector's C2i code and although I entered it and clicked the * button to accept it, when I then read injectors again, it showed the old number. Tried a few times but same thing. Bottom left of injector screen showing codes had yellow button marked 'F1 Configuration' which said communication error or something but I don't know what configuration it referred to, since writing on that page said to click * button after selecting relevant injector whose code you wanted to edit.

Anyone have any idea on this please?

Thanks,
James
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Sorted it. Used Proxia software instead, which stated that F5 must be pressed after making the code change in order to upload the information to the ECU, or 'telecode' it, as it put it. Whether F5 would have done it in the Lexia software I don't know.

Is the software buggy or is it because the interface is a clone that it crashed once and also has lots of trouble connecting to the ECU when used with proxia? Only connected 2nd time whenever I tried download/configuration section for doing injector code, and wouldn't connect at all when trying 'diagnostics' section.

Lexia software connected fine each and every time, finding all ECUs apart from air-con one, if there is one. I couldn't erase permanent antenna fault on radio though - it was still there after trying.
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

JamesQB wrote:I couldn't erase permanent antenna fault on radio though - it was still there after trying.
I think the clue to that is in the description :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

JamesQB wrote: Lexia software connected fine each and every time, finding all ECUs apart from air-con one, if there is one. I couldn't erase permanent antenna fault on radio though - it was still there after trying.
The aerial fault is what is known as a 'phantom fault', there is no problem they are usually caused by things like software conflicts. There are many known phantom fault, there are usually a few in the BSI. Sometimes a fault description will appear with an asterisk next to it to indicate that it's a phantom fault or sometimes the text wil be couloured blue.
The A/C will only have an ECU if it is the climate control type with the digital display, Usually the engine will need to be running also to comunicate with the A/C ECU as it doesent operate unless the engine is running.
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

I assumed 'permanent' fault in this context meant that the fault was constantly present, and not intermittent, since the fault codes do differentiate between the two. I didn't assume it meant permanent as in you could never erase the fault code. So even if you fixed the fault, you'd never be able to erase the fault code? That doesn't sound right. And since permanent ones bring on the engine light, you'd never be able to get it to go out again?

Anyone used Proxia before and can comment on its inability in my case to connect to the ECU using the diagnostics section?

Car hasn't got climate control, so that explains absence of air-con ECU. Glad it connected successfully to every one that is present though, after reading of faulty units from china.

And since none of it's in plain English, what's the method, with either software, to update ECU and to reset whatever you call it: adaptive mode, learning mode, road test mode...? Had a good few hours playing with the new toy yesterday as the rain poured around the car. Should prove to be a good investment. :D
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I think once a fault is detected 40 times in succession, it's declared as permanent? I get the impression you can actually clear them but the ECU detects the fault is still present and the Lexia will therefore tell you the fault remains which makes it seem like they weren't actually cleared.

As for the Lexia/Proxia differences, it does sound like software errors but then again, the Lexia clones do have a rep for poor contacts in the OBD connector so you might want to do some more comparisons before deciding what to blame.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

JamesQB wrote: Anyone used Proxia before and can comment on its inability in my case to connect to the ECU using the diagnostics section?
I thought the Proxia software managed to talk to the ECU to alow the injector coding ??
Proxia is now obsolete & updates for it stopped a good while ago.

JamesQB wrote: And since none of it's in plain English, what's the method, with either software, to update ECU and to reset whatever you call it: adaptive mode, learning mode, road test mode...? Had a good few hours playing with the new toy yesterday as the rain poured around the car. Should prove to be a good investment. :D
Updating the ECU software is not advisable unless you have a reason to, if the lexia was to crash during the operation (bear in mind that chineese clones dont exactly have the best reputation) it can damage the ECU.
Initalising the auto adaptives is different & just resets the base settings of the ECU which should be done after replacing most injection components, There is a specific menu for it in the injection menu & lexia will guide you through the procedure & tell you what you need to do.
MikeT wrote: I think once a fault is detected 40 times in succession, it's declared as permanent? I get the impression you can actually clear them but the ECU detects the fault is still present and the Lexia will therefore tell you the fault remains which makes it seem like they weren't actually cleared.
Never heard of that theory before. If Lexia detects the fault is there when it is scanning then the fault is permanant, if the ECU has previously detected a fault but it's not actually faulting at present then the fault will be logged as intermittant.
As already said this aerial fault is a known 'phantom fault' (I believe the actual fault code is along the lines of 'permanat fault of the radio aerial input ??) Most C3's around the same age will have the same fault logged in the radio even though there is no actual operating fault.
One of the help menus in Lexia has a breif explination of phantom faults.
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Thanks for those helpful replies. You're spot on about the fault code given for the aerial, and your explanation of permanent versus intermittent faults was along the lines of what I believed.

I did say in my post that the Proxia connected to the ECU successfully when I entered the download/configuration menu, which is where the injector coding application is to be found. There is a separate menu one must enter called diagnostics, and I would imagine this is the same as Lexia and contains applications for reading and erasing fault codes. It is this diagnostics menu which, after selecting it, tries to connect to the ECU and fails, stating that no interface is connected or not one that it recognises. I had the same problem with the download/configuration menu at every first attempt, but when it stated 'turn ignition key off and back on, then try again', it then connected on the 2nd attempt every time. This did not work despite numerous attempts with the diagnostics menu.

I think the Lexia software is capable of coding the injectors but neglects to say that you must press a key (maybe F5 like Proxia) to actually upload your changes to the ECU.

In the Proxia, I did find 2 different applications concerning programming of the ECU. One I reckon was for installing new software as it requested I disconnect the engine fan under the bonnet before continuing (I didn't continue), and the other simply said to press * button to continue reprogramming the ECU, which I think was the one that resets adaptives but didn't want to continue in case I was wrong.

The Lexia had a similar option to upgrade the ECU software in which I was told I must disconnect the fan under the bonnet, but I could find nothing which implied resetting of the adaptives?

Incidentally, if one wanted to upgrade ECU software, how do you get the Lexia online? All I found on one of the programs was a selection for your type of ISDN line with USB.

I found the injection ECU menu didn't include as many parameters as an image in a post on this forum, which showed injector correction values that mine doesn't show, so I suppose it depends on your ECU and what it monitors or what functions it has.

Can't say I found any difference after programming the injector in. Since doing injector and turbo, the car is still running very well, very quietly and starting straight away with no smoke ever. Turbo still provides huge poke around 2700rpm which seems late, but that's how it was when we got the car in 2006... I can hear a quiet whistling under the bonnet sometimes which I don't recall hearing before, but assume it might be the turbo working properly after perhaps slowly seizing over a long period.

All in all, car's going superbly and Lexia seems a great tool. Just a big learning curve finding out what you can do, and how to do it.
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You have certainly made a lot of progress since you first reported the problems you were having with the C3. Pleased to see it all coming (more or less) together.
Can't say I found any difference after programming the injector in. Since doing injector and turbo, the car is still running very well, very quietly and starting straight away with no smoke ever. Turbo still provides huge poke around 2700rpm which seems late, but that's how it was when we got the car in 2006... I can hear a quiet whistling under the bonnet sometimes which I don't recall hearing before, but assume it might be the turbo working properly after perhaps slowly seizing over a long period.
You may recall I had a similar problem, though not as severe, with mine and it turned out to be a dud injector.
It still doesn't run as sewing-machine smooth as when I first bought it but is OK, needs a Lexia session too I think.

Re: the turbo - It took me ages to recognise the turbo whistle on mine, it is rather 'discrete' but a couple of weeks ago something happened to it and now there is no boost until it cuts in at exactly 3,000 rpm.
I suspect a leaking hose somewhere but have yet to open the bonnet and look.
Previously it cut in t around 1,200rpm.
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Certainly have made progress and consider it a done job now, as the car's going so well. Took some years to get there, but just glad to be at the finish line.

Not too bothered about the turbo, as others have mentioned the early C3 HDi having late boost, so maybe it's normal. Either way, car's going well enough for me to consider it something to investigate if and when. Or maybe not at all. When I removed the turbo to fix it, I left the variable vane section attached to the car to avoid removing cat and other things, so perhaps that's sooted up or sticking a bit. Or new solenoid might be knackered from new, or there's a leak. Is there a method to finding leaks? Everything seems done up tightly. Anyway, hard to progress when not knowing if it's just a quirk of these early C3s.

Be interesting to hear what's caused yours to come in late all of a sudden.

Out of interest, with wastegates and variable vanes, etc., is the idea to always keep boost pressure at a set value despite exhaust gas speed increasing accompanied with inlet air usage increasing so compressor needs to pump extra in, or is boost pressure supposed to vary with revs and these devices simply stop them getting way too high?

More than anything, I'm looking to work out what could cause late boost (even though I know it's always there, it doesn't really 'kick in') in an engine with a variable vane turbo.
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007