pulseing steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marco1
My Cars:

pulseing steering

Post by marco1 »

ive a xantia well maintained 6year old 100,000 miler fluid nice and green now ive had and still got . pulseing sensation through the steering.drives good full power asitence,etc..stright line fine no wandering..but just twick the wheel left and right youll get this strange sensation..could it be diverter vale or is it just a quirkc of a xantia ..new sheres all round 2 year ago.ithink some thing to do with rack any idears ..
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Depends on your Xantia modelyear.
From '93 the servo is the same system as used on BX'es : a FlowDivider (FD) controlling flow to the servo & regulator.
AFAIR from '96 you have the 2-port HP pump - the one port used exclusively for the servo - and NO FD.
Both systems will instantly react to a weak HP pump.
But also the FD is a wellknown bugger.
I guess I'd try first the option of a known good warranted secondhand pump - since this is the easiest option.
New pumps & FD's are quite expensive and the FD is far more complicated to replace than the pump.
The FD problem is known to such an extent, that special rep. kits are available for overhaul - this is a bugger job - but lot's of £'s saved.
No rep. kits exists for the HP pump - usually the pump lasts the life of the car.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I had a similar problem with my '93 XM TD12 and not wanting to fork out for a new pump or divider, I followed someones advice and ran the system through with Hydraincage (Citroën's cleaning fluid), cleaning all filters both before and after. This cured the problem completely, so it must have been due to rubbish in the hydraulic system.
//NiSk