Xantia control arm bushes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

Xantia control arm bushes

Post by davewithington »

A couple of weeks back I noticed that the inside third of my new last December front tyres had disappeared. OK, I was expecting heavyish tyre wear on a nose heavy front drive diesel, but not in 5000 miles. I'm lucky enough to have a friend in the trade, who lets me use his lift, so we investigated. Both front track control arm trailing bushes were very soft, so much so that when applying a long bar, the front wheels could be seen to toe out.

I changed both front arms last week, they're easier to fit than just changing the bushes, only took an hour including new drop links, , and I've got a spare pair now for the next Xantia. Oh, I might mention it's not a good idea to lift both sides of the anti roll bar at the same time as it resets the front ride height. I've just had a new double garage built, with a nice flat level floor, so it wasn't too much of a chore to reset the height at the front I also set the rear ride height which was too low, and replaced the dogbones while I was underneath, as they were a bit rattly on the pins, and made sure that the height correctors were free and lubricated.

The track arm bushes weren't obviously worn, and would have probably passed an MOT, well they did in November, but just shows you can't judge by looks alone.