Citroen Xantia + Peugeot 406 engine = ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

igor253
My Cars:

Citroen Xantia + Peugeot 406 engine = ?

Post by igor253 »

OK, I have a friend who used to drive a Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi, but recently he totaled his car and now he's selling what's left of it, like the engine. Now he wants to sell it to me, because my Citroen Xantia 1.9TD engine is, well, let's just say it's used up :), and I need a new one. But sense this is my friend he is willing to sell it to me for a fair price. Now the question. Is it even possible to put a 406 engine into a Xantia, sense they are almost the same cars?

Thanks! :D
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

There is a lot of work for this as its not a straight swap, even more so for the 110 engine. best to either buy it cheap and ebay it or keep it for another motor.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I answered your topic in the Peugeot forum :)

But it is not straightforward (regardless of what came from where or where it is going to) to do a XUDT to HDi conversion. Physically bolting it in (assuming gearbox / clutch is OK) is the easy bit, making it run properly is quite another. :D

Doing a HDi to XUDT is a bit easier as you are throwing a lot of things out (electronics mostly), although there's still a lot of things to consider (exhausts and pipework etc for one)

It would be best to obtain another XUDT and fit that ;) , remember you will need (probably) all your ancillaries off your existing engine as 406's do not have hydraulics etc.

And possibly manifolds too, quite likely if donor was not Xantia or 406.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
igor253
My Cars:

Post by igor253 »

KP wrote:There is a lot of work for this as its not a straight swap, even more so for the 110 engine. best to either buy it cheap and ebay it or keep it for another motor.
Thanks for repling,
I know it won't be easy and that there is a lot of work and I know it would be easier to just put in another TD engine. But, the reason I want a HDi is simple, more power and newer engine, sense I dont have money for a new car :). I just need to know wheather that is even possible. Yes the electronics are gonna be a pain in the a$$, but the hydraulics are not part of the engine so I hope it won't give me a lot of trouble. So let's say you are in my shoes, living in a country with corrupt goverment and you dont have a lot of money, would you attempt something like this or you wouldn't throw your money on an engine because it is a really really long shot? :)
Thanks!
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

Hydraulics are run off the engine so it will need an appropriate bracket and belt there. If it is not in the correct location you will need customised pipework.

The electronics is also part of the car, it wont work without the clocks, key and ecu
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!