C5 2.0 HDI RADIATOR FAN NOT WORKING OVERHEATING IN TRAFFIC

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

galonki
My Cars:

C5 2.0 HDI RADIATOR FAN NOT WORKING OVERHEATING IN TRAFFIC

Post by galonki »

Hi, my 2003 C5 2.0 hdi has given me a new headache; when driving 40/50mph and generally moving the engine temp is fine the needle is in the middle.

if i come accross some traffic on the way to work and im using mainly 1st and 2nd gear for 10min the needle starts to rise, but usually by the time it gets to the red section i get moving normal again and it stops rising.

now a couple of weeks back when we had 33 celsius, and i got stuck in traffic for 15min the needle went into the red and the light also came on.

so immediately i pulled over and let it cool before driving again.

i noticed upon opening the hood that the radiator fan was not running which has brought me to a conclusion that thats what is causing the overheating.

i looked in owners manual but there doesnt seem to be a fuse for the fan which i could check.

so i am out of ideas, can anyone help?

please.

thanks.
2008 PEUGEOT 308 1.6 HDI 90 BHP.
2003 CITROEN C5 2.0 HDI 110 BHP. (Sold)
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Haven’t got that far yet with the C5, but from topics on aussiefrogs, the fan itself packs up, and even twice.
The victim replaced it with a 14 inch, £50 bootleg fan from a factor, and tacked it in with a plumbing job on the connector, and cable ties.
It cools properly, but makes more noise.
I’ll try digging up the relevant topic.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/forumd ... ysprune=30
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
galonki
My Cars:

Post by galonki »

thanks for that link mate has lots of useful information, if anyone can still help me please do before my engine fries like a fried chicken.

thanks.

i read somewhere on the net last nite that there is usually a cooling fan fuse, can anyone confirm this for the C5 and where it is located.

thanks.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Never been there.
Read that the under bonnet fuse panel unclips to access the large fuses under it.
The fan fuse would be called MF1 and be of 50 Amps.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Be careful though - if a 50A fuse has blown, it will have done so for a reason :shock:
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

And the reason is a dodgy fan.
Replacing the fuse may cause instant fireworks, or get the fan to spin for a short while yet.
Then the fuse will blow again.
amjake

Post by amjake »

Hi there galonki

May be able to help there and save money!

I've had major probs with aircon resulting in replacing the compressor and all the other bits and pieces to then find that the cooling fans didn't work, why?

Deteriorated wiring!

This caused the relays to burn out, they were replaced and also some crud wiring. But still fans refused to budge and with input from Clogzz and the garage running a whole bunch of step by step checks, ie fans work, relays test OK, sockets test and then step by step wire test identified the problem. Replacing wires and the whole system is now working perfectly.

So from my experience a test meter or someone who can help, auto electrician or similar would be my first steps as I nearly purchased the Heater Blower ECU from Citroen £89.30 +VAT (non returnable!)

I hope this helps

Kevin
coastline taxis

Post by coastline taxis »

Hi
firstly remove your front bumper and look straight at your radiator and just to the right of your radiator youl see a black panel remove the cover (if its still there). Youl find the wirring and relays for your rad fan pull the green relays out and youl see that the terminals will have corroded and are not allowing the fan to activate also check the wiring if you cant repair it citroen sell a mini harness to replace it. Its a very common fault and weve done a good few of them
amjake

Post by amjake »

Thanks for help, garage sorted last week, corroded wiring!
galonki
My Cars:

Post by galonki »

ok guys thanks 4 all that input.
been doing 12 hour shifts so not much time to have a look.
but this weekend i will try to look at the big fuses or in fact all the fuses under the bonnet see if any are blown.

then if nothing i may call my local auto electrician, i dont feel to comfortable with taking bumper off, or is it easy?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Bumper is quite easy to remove.
coastline taxis

Post by coastline taxis »

7 or 8 torx screws and disconect wiring for front fogs and the bumper slides of no bother at all. Or you can just undo the the torxs on the top slam panel and pull the top of the bumper out over and get your hand in that way. but for what is involved the bumper off is better.
galonki
My Cars:

Post by galonki »

hi, an update;

today i popped the hood and took off the fuse cover which is to the right of the engine facing it in other words passenger side.

i had a look at all the fuses but no MF1 fuse and also no 50 amp fuses.

the biggest one i could find was 40amps regardless i checked them and they were fine.

am i looking in the wrong place? i think thats the only place were the fuses are in the engine. also had a look in the glovebox fuse compartment also only 40 amp largest and all good.

i dont think there is a fuse for the fan since it is not mentioned in the owners manual either.

on a more positive note in the day i could see through the front grill a couple of connectors which look they are from the fan and look all good and also the black box mentioned by another member.
the lid of the box is present so could not see inside.
am i right to assume this is where the relay of the fan is located?

all i have to do when the weather is better is to take off bumper, test fan by connecting direct to battery and then check relays if they look corroded.

does it sound about right?

not as easy as it sounds though i think.

i cold only find two screws for the bumper one in each wheel arc, where are the others?

as a last question when i do take bumper off, which wire to i cut and check to make sure fan works by connecting to battery direct.

all responses much appreciated.
:0
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Can you look at the fuse box to check on that story of unclipping to access big fuses underneath ? :?
galonki
My Cars:

Post by galonki »

Clogzz wrote:Can you look at the fuse box to check on that story of unclipping to access big fuses underneath ? :?
not sure what you mean mate?

under the hood on the right there is a black cover with the name "electronic" if i remember correct and a picture of a fuse.

it is held in place by 4 half way turn screws.

this is where my fuses are located and could not find any 50amps in there.

should i be looking elsewhere?

thanks.