speed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

btwellz

speed

Post by btwellz »

ive just bought a zx 1.9 d because i was told that it would be quicker that my old t reg vauxhall astra estate.have i made a mistake,there doesnt seem to be the power i expected?.
mjwells

Post by mjwells »

no you havent made a mistake the car is fine but it takes a good driver to master the zx.
possibly you might need some extra driving lessons because when you go from a family car like the astra estate to the super quick zx 1.9 d it might be a little unnerving. the gas pedal needs to be pushed down a little harder than the family car though.
btwellz

Post by btwellz »

Yeh I may have to look for a zx estate.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Any normally aspirated diesel powered car is never going to be described as "quick" by anyone who's honest. The ZX 1.9 TurboD is fairly rapid though - 0 -60 in <10 secs is good going for an old oil burner.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

ZX D's need plenty of welly to get them to go nicely and I still find this strange when i drive my wife's - even after 6 months.
Is your throttle opening properly? there seems to be quite a bit of urge right at the end of the travel and it may be that it isn't opening quite fully. To check get someone to sit in the car with their foot right down on the pedal, then look at the pump and find the end of the cable. Pull the end of the outer cable back and see if there is any movement If there is move the clip forward - ie towards the cambelt as far as you can. The cable should be tight now and you should have a fully opening throttle.
jeremy
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I'm not on commission, honest[;)], but try a bottle of injector cleaner. I know I keep banging on about this but it reall can make a difference when coupled with a few high speed runs to degunge the engine: particularly if the previous owner was one of the "never over 2500 rpm" brigade. Got to be worth a fiver to try!