Taxi Equipment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Taxi Equipment

Post by MikeT »

Just about every car handbook I've read shows provision for "Taxi Equipment"......except the Xantia.

I would guess these are extra circuits for things like transcievers, taxi lights, fare computers etc.

What I'd like to do is take this opportunity to add some aux power circuits while I've got easy access to the fusebox and relay section.

Has anyone done similar and how?

There's a couple of spare relay holes behind the fusebox, above the accelerator pedal but that's about it! Where can I tap into the +ve and -ve supplies? Preferably ignition switched but not essential.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Nobody got an answer?

What about those three connectors on the right of the steering column? They look like the heaviest gauge wire on this car. Would they be suitable for tapping into?

Problem is, I can't do any voltage probing as the battery's disconnected and many connectors are apart.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I donk know the connectors you mean but if you look at the codes printed along the wires it can tell you a lot about what the wire does. If it starts with B then it's a fused battery supply, BB=unfused battery supply, C=fused ignition feed, CC=unfused ignition feed, A=fuse accesories feed, AA =unfused accesories feed V= sidelight feed & M=earth.
I would always prefer to use a body earth than tap into an exsisting earth wire.
Thats the basic codes, there are more for multiplexed wires etc & the rest of the number on the wire tells you which system it is part of.
I would also always confirm with a multimeter though before connecting any wires.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I never realised that!
Thanks for the info :)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I should add that the above info only applies to Citroens & Peugeots from the Xantia era onwards. It's not a standard on all car wiring.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Hi Wheeler, that's very useful information, thanks!

The heavy gauge wires I'm referring to come out or go into the ignition switch. There's also some heavy gauge wires going into the fusebox connectors, I noticed later today.

But getting back to the thread title, is there nothing pre-fitted to fascilitate taxi equipment as there is in most other cars? It would be far better/easier to use that than splice good wiring. In the cabin, I've already made use of one of the spare relay holes near the fusebox, using a relay holder from a scrapper. Ditto for the engine bay.

Agreed on the earth and I tested a nearby bolt stud which showed zero resistance to the battery terminal so hooked my wired onto it. All I need now is any ignition switched feed (close to the cabin relays) that's got up to 20A spare capacity. I'm providing an inline fuse anyway so it looks like I need to find a C or CC.

Ideally, I'd like to do this twice so I can run other accessories such as amp, laptop, dvd player, etc, etc. But if it's going to be this difficult making one high power circuit, I'll have to forego this second cicruit until next time the opportunity arises.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Just to say thanks again to Wheeler. Using his information and studying the Haynes diagrams, Toby identified a nice beefy switched feed for me tap into. I fitted a relay holder in one of the empty cutouts and wired it off this feed. Just what I needed.