more power from my zx

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mjwells

more power from my zx

Post by mjwells »

ive had my zx 1.9 d for 12 months great car slow as **** any suggestions to improve performance with out great expence. can the pump be adjusted and if so how?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes the pump may be adjusted - but you do'nt want to do that.
Power from a diesel mainly relies on 2 facts :
As much free/cool air intake/feeded as possible.
A very easy way to get rid of exhaust gases.
If you try simply feed more fuel - the lambda figure will quickly rise above 2 and the diesel engine reaches the black sooth point - where you simply have a carbon producing machine - not extra power.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Sell it and by a TD - the difference is phenominal.
//NiSk
mjwells

Post by mjwells »

Anybody want to buy a 1.9 d? it shifts !
btwellz

Post by btwellz »

Hi I have got a stainless steal exhaust on mine and the difference is amazing. I have had 90MPH out of it (slightly down hill). Maybe some stripes will help too. I think you may be able to get a k&n but I'm not sure.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds daft but is the throttle opening properly. Our ZX D responds well to a good push of the pedal into the carpet and I must have another go at adjusting the cable. In fact the end of the accelerator pedal travel is not very definite which makes the adjustment difficult.
When adjusting the cable you are trying to get the throttle lever on the pump to be fully open at the same time as the pedal hits the floor. If the cable is any tighter you may strain the pump bearing causing leakage, but before then you will probably have broken the end of the cable where it joins the pedal.
To adjust I suggest you get someone to sit in the car with their foot on the pedal, which is against the floor. Then under the bonnet pull the outer sleeve at the pump end of the cable away from the pump and re-position the clip.
there is an interesting thread on this site concerning which is the best ZX. The general consensus seems to be that the ZX D is quite lively and a pleasant car and the TD only really comes into its own at higher speeds. I have a BX TD (1.7 engine) as well and for most running find the ZX performs about the same and does not have the lag. For accelerating up long hills in 5th there is no comparison of course.
Jeremy
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Adjusting the pump can make quite a difference without knocking the fuel consumption too much. You will get some smoke at high revs at full throttle. Adjustment is easy too. Anyway, I think I know who you are, so if I'm right I'll talk to you tonight.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Try running a bottle of injector cleaner through and doing a couple of fairly long high speed runs. Could be a bit clogged particularly if you do mainly urban driving. my 1.9D will happily do 90+ (admitedly not getting there as quickly as a td ;-) ) but I wouldn't describe it as slow.
FFX-DM
My Cars:

Post by FFX-DM »

Not being a speedy driver anyway, I would not complain, but my ZX 1.9 goes along quite nicely at 90 and I wimp out before the car gives up!
r2d2bis

Post by r2d2bis »

FYI : Zx 1.9D Flat out, Down Hill, Wing Mirrors pulled inwards, Aerial taken off, windscreen wiper removed, and head ducked right down within the steering wheel, go faster stripes (just joking) but managed to wind it up to 190kph on the clock, only took 3 weeks to get to that speed but got there in the end ;.)))
btwellz

Post by btwellz »

wow thats amazing you must have been towed aswell!!!!!!!!!