Warped Front Discs on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MattTrinder

Warped Front Discs on Xantia

Post by MattTrinder »

Hi All
My 95 2.0i 8v VSX (Hydractive) has just warped its second front brake disc in the space of 1 year
The first time was shortly after I got the car, so I had no idea of the history of the pads and discs, so changed the lot - the pads were pretty thin
This time round (12000 miles later) the pads are also getting thin-ish but should have been fine for a while yet, and the drivers side disc has warped again.
The pads & discs I fitted were the cheapest pattern parts available from GSF competitor (discs £10, pads £13), could this be a factor ? This time round I have gone for the Bendix discs (£15 each), and will probably go for the £20 pads as well.
Other than that - any ideas welcome. The only other cause I have seen suggested is putting the hand brake on too hard on hot discs, causing them to warp as they cool down - but I don't drive that hard, and I only ever put the handbrake on to the first click (It's flat round my way...)
In case anybody is interested (i was amazed by this) I measured the run out on the warped disc with a dial guage - scale on the guage was 2 revolutions to 1mm, total deflection was less than 1/4 of one revolution, or slightly more the 0.1mm - and this was enough to cause the whole car to shake alarmingly at motorway speeds...
Cheers
Matt
mjwells

Post by mjwells »

matt, a word to the wise, you get what you pay for! make sure pads and disc's are good quality and ensure that the discs are seated well on the hub,ie free from dirt and grime. possibly your calipers are slighty siezed on one side.
mike
MattTrinder

Post by MattTrinder »

Thats pretty much what I figured...
I have ordered a pair of genuine Cit pads from AndySpares, will give these a go
Cheer
Matt
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Genuine Cit pads/discs - that would be Bendix.
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

0.1mm is quite a lot. Max permitted is 0.05mm. Is it only the drivers side that is warping, or both? I trust you have checked the callipers and ensured they slide freely without sticking at any point, and without appreciable wear. If it is only the drivers side then I would suspect that the problems lies in the calliper rather than the disk.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Arent you supposed to "brake lightly" for the first 100 Miles? otherwise they go crisp shape??[B)]