Xantia 1.9TD overheating?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeteW1959
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD overheating?

Post by PeteW1959 »

I know this has been covered extensively, and I have read all of the threads and followed the advice, but my symptoms seem a bit odd, and maybe a false alarm but I want to be sure.

Firstly the radiator is fairly new (about a year) and the engine was flushed when it was replaced, and these symptoms started before the change. It is an air con model, but the air con has no gas and never has since I have owned it (the pipe has actually snapped off at the pump)

I am getting the red stop light coupled with the amber light on the temp guage. The temperature can be anywhere between 70 and 90 when this happens. The guage has never gone over 90.

It happens more in the summer than in winter, but it wasn't any worse during the recent very hot weather than it is now. It happens more when the car is working (big load, long uphill drag), but can happen at a steady 60 on the flat. So far it has never happened in heavy traffic.

The fans are running normally, although they do seem to run faster after the engine has been switched off when warm. Water level is normal, and I haven't need to top it up for ages.

Could this just be a 'feature' of Xantia electrics?

Pete
'98 Xantia 1.9TD Estate, 230000 miles and still hanging on....just.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Yes, being an S2 car, and levels are well, it will be signaling other things!

I had this on a S2 HDi Xantia.. Normal and full speed Fan operation worked, but there was a Short Cuircit on the Slow Speed Fan side.. which kept throwingthe light on..

The location? Open the bonnet, remove the plastic Cooling fan guard, then between the Fans are 3 relays, and when I removed one of them the Leg of one of the relays had corroded away.. pulled it through, put a new spade on it and its been fine since...

If the guage is reading correctly, and the levels are fine then id look here first...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree with Paul, over temperature warnings are also quite common on the XM, just accept what the gauge says, its unlikely to be incorrect.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Sounds to me as though the thermostat may not be opening fully. IMHO, the symptoms you describe better fit marginal cooling ability than an electrical fault: temperature and load related. Had a similar experience on ours when we first had it - blasting along the M4 it overheated slightly - temperature didn't soar but did go up to about 90 let it cool, checked coolant levels (OK) so turned round and drove home sedately with out any problems. Old thermostat opening only a fraction of the replacement. Make sure you get the right one:- MTO372 (Q-H QTH372) 85ºC (Activa cars must have a 90ºC unit!)
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
PeteW1959
My Cars:

Post by PeteW1959 »

Thanks for the advice. I've only just got around to looking at it as it has done nothing but rain for the past week and I don't have a garage.

Checked the relays and they seem OK, so have just changed the thermostat. I'm off to Gloucestershire tomorrow on a camping trip so I'll see if therre is any improvement.
'98 Xantia 1.9TD Estate, 230000 miles and still hanging on....just.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Just a thought but when the stop light and amber temperature light come on do the cooling fans also engage :?:
I have had,as have a few others,a problem with the contacts/wires on the brown plug that sits by the fuel filter.This would occasionally go open circut putting both lights on and the cooling fans at full speed even though guage only showed 80.
With engine running have a play with the plug and the wires and see if anything happens

Colin