C5 2.0 HDI 110 CLUTCH

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnway
My Cars:

C5 2.0 HDI 110 CLUTCH

Post by johnway »

Hello,
How many miles expected before clutch renewal necessary? Mine is over 166K, so just curious!!

Regards,
John.
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I think the standard life expectancy is around 80,000 but there is a huge variance to be found, it all depends on how you drive.
Had mine replaced at 120,000. Wasn't totally shot but getting close. Gearbox was out for replacement of the DMF and had a new clutch fitted at the same time - false economy not to.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

How long is a piece of string?

The main factor in how long a clutch lasts is how the driver uses it. If you look around in traffic or at junctions then you can just about always spot someone riding the clutch in order to try and keep the car still on a hill - its not a brake and not what the clutch is there for. So this type of driving rapidly increases wear to the clutch friction plate. However, it can cause all kinds of other problems, distorted or cracked flywheels. A loot of modern car have plastic slave cylinders, these can melt due to the heat of the clutch being slipped. The DMF is put under a lot of strain and can also be damaged by heat.

This is a driving habbit which really annoys me, but since it is tought during driving lessons the drivers probably dont know what damage this causes. However an Advanced driving test would not be passed with this kind of driving and i dont know why it is tought in the driving lessons.

Ive known people get through clutches in 10-40K miles time and time again. So driving style is a lot to do with it. As is what the car is used for, towing or transporting heavy things will take more out of the clutch when setting off, changing gear etc.

As the C5 has a DMF, these are known the fail at a variety of mileages, anything from 50K miles upwards has been reported. Its not always linked to a worn friction plate either, so failure it would seem, can happen despite how the clutch is used.

If a clutch is used as it was intended and with care then they can easily do many miles, quite a few people on here have reported to be on the original clutch with over 200K and more. Though DMFs and the clutch kits can fail without friction plate wear. The fingers on the clutch diaphram can wear through, release bearings can go etc.

There is no definite answer :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Citroenmad wrote: If a clutch is used as it was intended and with care then they can easily do many miles, quite a few people on here have reported to be on the original clutch with over 200K and more.
My C5 has 158k and, AFAIK, is still on its original clutch.
Citroenmad wrote: DMFs and the clutch kits can fail without friction plate wear. The fingers on the clutch diaphram can wear through, release bearings can go etc.
That's exactly how the clutch on the Xsara went at 155,000. I reckon the clutch friction surfaces still had several 10s of thousands left in them - not so sure about the cush spings in the centre though!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
timborob
My Cars:

HDI clutch

Post by timborob »

Hi all ,

My cars now done almost 106K and the pedal seems high and i do feel quite strong vibration through the pedal when its cold but it almost clears
when warmed up.
Is this a sign that it pretty worn?
(there's no sign of slippage as yet)

I have also read our car has a Hydralic clutch and you can't adjust it
is this also the case?

I was told that my car has had a new clutch or adjusted by how would i know anyway without getting someone to dismantle it?
Regards
Tim

03 Citroen C5 2.0 110 HDI VTR Mauritius Blue 109K