01 Cit Xsara 2.0 LX HDi Fault Codes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Warrior1968
My Cars:

01 Cit Xsara 2.0 LX HDi Fault Codes

Post by Warrior1968 »

Hi I own a Xsara that's having issues I have had it tested for faults its had a new maf that's come up again as a secondary cooling sensor 2 I had the brake sensor replaced this also returned and i have had fuel pressure switch replaced with was the last fault also.:?

Now the infernal light has come on again!! ,went into limp home mode, I stopped the car for a min the car started it went back to normal pace light still on altho its trying to go out.:evil:

I was advised that its a possibility the ECU playing up and then was quoted telephone numbers with std code to test repair and refit so any serving suggestions would be a appreciated :D
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

With this number of recurring faults it might be a faulty electrical connection.

Near to the fuse box there are 2 (or 3 - can't remember!) large round wiring loom connectore. Undo those and see if there's any corrosion showing on the pins. Try cleaning as best as possible and spray with switch contact cleaner, if you can get some.

There are also electrical connectors onto the fusebox which might benefit from the same treatment.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Warrior1968
My Cars:

Post by Warrior1968 »

Thanks for your reply,is this the one in the engine bay or in the dash? or both?
Nutcase
My Cars:

Post by Nutcase »

Hi

I went through similar problems a few years ago. The ecu often seems to throw up lots of aberrant fault codes, just to confuse us!

In my case it turned out to be an electrovalve, and I have had the same issue a couple of times which again turned out to be an electrovalve. Mine, same year and model as yours, has 3 electrovalves mounted on the rear bulkhead behind the engine.

If it was me I would get a new electrovalve (about £40 from dealers) and change one of them. If that doesnt work, move it along one and check again. Not very scientific but I think its worth trying, as you will probably get charged about £40 just to get the fault codes interrogated again (with no greater certainty of a result!)

Hope you get it sorted
Greg
2001 Xsara HDI 110 150,000 & counting!
Warrior1968
My Cars:

Post by Warrior1968 »

Hi Nutcase :D

Thanks for your reply.. I have spotted 2 of them and one hidden behind it,Ill take a look at some point as mine has reached its first 100 thou. :shock:
8-)
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I really meant the connectors in the engine bay but with computer controlled engines sometimes the most bizarre effect can be caused by a fault elsewhere, so try it.

If your car has two electrovalves it's the 90bhp version. The 110bhp engine has an extra electrovalve to control the turbo boost.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Warrior1968
My Cars:

Post by Warrior1968 »

Aha I found that earlier I couldn't undo that one very easy i will have to look at that one again,yes there is 2 I was going to ask about the third one, was :D

I shall have a look at finding those as I don't have a local Cit dealer. :roll:
Warrior1968
My Cars:

Post by Warrior1968 »

Ok I took it to Bosch Service people in Biggleswade, nice bunch there :D they plugged it in to find 5 faults logged in the ECU as follows...

P0110 air temp sensor,P0571 Brake Contact Signal,P0191 fuel pressure signal coherence,P1219 engine oil sensor and finally P0100 flow meter signal.

2 have been replaced apparently I have the reciept,One I replaced myself the other 2 showed up as bosch read the unknown fault code etc.

They have a plan,I fear this is going to cost mega bucks,If its the ECU I can either get one cheap or get mine repaired which way works out cheaper than a new one,the other one is to check out my wiring.

Im beggining to regret this car,its only that the Bosch service man said ooo this is the better model,Im hoping he is right and not going to fleece me of my £££
:(