Xantia Dashboard lights gone

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skog77
My Cars:

Xantia Dashboard lights gone

Post by skog77 »

Ok, so i was removing the stereo in my Xantia to mount a new one. Actually it was my mate doing it, it's better to have someone to blame when this happens ;)

He accidentally yanked the cables attached to the rear of the player when removing it. When we were done, all the dashboard lights were gone. Speedos, clock, everything, the only lights working inside the car are the power window buttons and the roof lighting.

We've checked all the fuses obviously, but I fear we might have yanked off a ground wire somewhere deep down in the bowels of the dash.

Has this happened to anyone before? Is it possible to access the wires from underneath or something?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Check the dimmer switch.
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

Peter.N. wrote:Check the dimmer switch.
I have, it's not that either.
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

I don't know anything about the Xantia but on the ZX the dashboard lights are pushed into holes in the rear of the binnacle and make connections to a thin flexible printed circuit which is made from plastic film. There are about four or five multi-way edge connectors carrying electrical power etc to the flexi-pcb. Maybe you've pulled one or more of these edge connectors off the flexi-pcb. They might have a latching mechanism (not sure) but that can be broken if you pull hard enough. Maybe you've pulled one of the wires out where it goes into the multi way connector.

I would start dismantling around the radio looking for broken wires etc. then move onto the dashboard instrument binnacle and check those edge connectors. They may just need pushing back slightly so you might be able to do it by touch if you can get your hand in behind the dash through the radio aperture, if you remove a few things (air vents maybe?).

Paul
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

The thing is, it's not just the instrument panel. It's the clock, the backlights in the heater sliders, everything that's in the dash. I'm thinking there has to be a ground wire somewhere down there.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

All the dash lights, thats, instruments and heaters are ALL dimmed through the dimmer on the lower side of the steering colum, including the radio display..

If the dimmer switch has buggered up the lights Do Not light up, there needs to be a contect between the two wires that got the dimmer...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

citroenxm wrote:All the dash lights, thats, instruments and heaters are ALL dimmed through the dimmer on the lower side of the steering colum, including the radio display..
If the dimmer switch has buggered up the lights Do Not light up, there needs to be a contect between the two wires that got the dimmer...
Paul
I just drove through a tunnel today and noticed that the AC button had lights in it. I didnt have time to check if it was affected by the dimmer switch or not because of the traffic, but i'm assuming that the AC button gets power from someplace else.

I'm pretty sure this is a concequence of us yanking the stereo cables, but im going to pull out the dimmer switch again and just check the power with a voltage meter later on. There's two wires on it, one green and one white.

I'll do more research on this, thanks everyone :)
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

the AC button takes its light source from the same place as the other dash switchs, ie hazzards and fog lights...

The "Illumination" wires are thin brown and green wires...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

OK! I've replaced the dimmer switch (mostly because i broke the plastic on the old one taking it out). There is current flowing through it and it seems to be working properly. Still no light.

About the AC light, the light actually only works when the AC is on. If i switch it off, the AC button goes black like the rest. So i guess we cleared that bit up.

Still, no light. I am pretty sure we've must have pulled some ground wire somewhere, since this all started when yanking the stereo cables.