How to fix stripped thread

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the_weaver
My Cars:

How to fix stripped thread

Post by the_weaver »

The thread has been stripped on one of the mounting holes for my lower cambelt cover on my ZX 1.9D. I've got some "CarGo QuikSteel" which is a two part (epoxy?) repair putty. The instructions say something like "fill the hole, leave to dry, drill a new hole, tap the hole". Unfortunately, I haven't got any taps. I was hoping to just coat the bolt threads with paste and undo the bolt as the paste is just drying to improve the existing thread which is still there but not holding the bolt as it's tightened.

Any tips on how best to repair the thread?

Paul
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

The only way that would work (but not 100%) is to coat the thread of the bolt in silicone before putting it into the just filled hole. the only problem would be that the bolt still gets stuck.
Proper way is to fit a helicoil but that means buying a kit to do it.
Rob
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Your idea won't work too well sadly, you'll find any thread left (if any) will be very rough and not up to the job.

If you allow the Chemical metal to fully harden and then drill and tap, the resulting thread will be good for holding a cover but I'd not recommend it for anything seriously load-bearing. If it is, the thread will need helicoliling.

A set of taps are not expensive but you do need the right sized drill to make the initial tapping hole.

You need the set of taps, the two sizes of taper tap and a plug tap to finish.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Thanks for the replies. I'll check if the local motor factors sells taps tomorrow.

Paul
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

The bolt is 7mm diameter. Typical of Citroen to use an odd size (like those 35mm hub nuts).

What size drill do I need for a 7mm bolt?

The bolt info is:-

Capscrew diameter 7X100-14

Do I just need to get the three M7 taps or is there anything else to think about like the thread depth or coarseness?

Paul
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

If you are going to use this plastic metal repair compound, you will need to drill the hole oversize, otherwise you will just be making a thread form from the plastic, which will not hold.

The perfect, permanent repair is to use a wire thread form insert, Helicoil :shock: . However if you are not mechanically adept, you can make a real bodge and get it wrong.

You can by cheap insert kits that contain a couple of inserts of the right thread form, a tap and the insert tool. It may also include the relevant drill to re-tap the hole.

I think you will find these covers are held by screws with an M6x1.25 thread form, as M7 is non-prefered and even Citroen are not that perverse. :shock:

Alternatively, if you are in or near East Sussex, bring the part to me and I'll be able to fit an insert for you as I keep a whole range of wire-formed inserts, including all metric and imperial sizes. I can even do spark-plug threads, in-situ, without the need to remove the cylinder head.

Handyman
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

handyman wrote: Alternatively, if you are in or near East Sussex, bring the part to me and I'll be able to fit an insert for you as I keep a whole range of wire-formed inserts, including all metric and imperial sizes. I can even do spark-plug threads, in-situ, without the need to remove the cylinder head.

Handyman
Well now... that's what this forum is all about!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

M7 does seem to be a strange size but I got the bolt info from the drawings so it must be right? I bought a new lower cambelt cover to replace the one that was missing. I bought some M6 and some M7 bolts. I'm now wondering whether I tried the M6 bolt in the hole by mistake instead of the M7 and then came to the conclusion that the thread had gone. I'll check again tomorrow and I'll check I'm using the correct bolts this time.

Thanks for the offer to fit an insert for me but as I'm in Wales it's not an option.

Paul
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

I've sorted the problem out. The thread was ok. It was M7 but because the bolt had been missing for a long period the thread in the hole was dirty. Previously I tried the M7 bolt and it wouldn't go in so I assumed it must be M6. The M6 bolt I tried then made me think that the thread wasn't holding properly. I've now cleaned the thread and the M7 bolt goes in fine.

Paul
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Something you might want to add into your arsenal, is a spraycan of carby cleaner/throttle body cleaner with the extension tube.

It's good for hosing out blind holes like this, and leaves no residue - excellent when you're using a Loctite chaser.

Take note that it is pretty harsh on your skin, especially if you don't have tradesman's hands (as in, already abused).
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

handyman wrote:
I think you will find these covers are held by screws with an M6x1.25 thread form, as M7 is non-prefered and even Citroen are not that perverse. :shock:

Handyman
They're perverse enough to use M9 rear caliper bolts, and you don't get much more perverse that that :x
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Thanks for the tip. I've got some carburettor cleaner somewhere.

Paul