xsara 2000W steering vibrating

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

_kid_

xsara 2000W steering vibrating

Post by _kid_ »

Citroen Xsara 1.4 2000MY mark 1, 115k miles on the clock

Im having a strange problem where by when at idle every 10 seconds or so i can feel a small vibration coming through the steering wheel and the car- although no passengers have mentioned anything, also the exhaust sounds like it is missing every few seconds, also the engine is moving ever so slightly, so im guessing the movement in the engine is causing the problem. Its almost like there is air coming into the engine which is causing this, but i cant find anything yet. The car drives perfect and mpg is as expected. It also past the mot recently (no probs with emissions) where there was an advisory about small leak in the front exhaust but i cant see/hear anything abnormal. I should say the vibration is more noticeable when the engine is warm, also when the engine is switched off there is a whistling sound for a couple of seconds (like air entering)

So would anyone have any ideas? thanks
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

I have had a similar problem but while above idle and moving. It was due to exhaust as I would think yours is. When this is the problem the whole exhaust can vibrate the length of the car with it.

If your engine is vibrating it could be misfiring or engine mounts as also happened to mine seperately.

The misfiring could be linked to your low idle speed sometimes when there is not enough power from low battery.

Whistling could be idle control valve, check to make sure it is connected right, if it isn't that could be making your idle lumpy.

The exhaust leak might be worth looking at too for the general vibration your getting.

Thats all that comes to mind from experience, maybe someone else who knows more will have other ideas
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Perhaps the catalytic convertor is blocked. That would cause the idle vibration and hissing sound but I'd also expect reports of poor acceleration sometimes and hearing the innards rattle occassionally.
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

ive just spoken to a garage they say they whistleing sound is normal on closure- something with the manifold pressure release.

the exhaust itself sounds fine and is in excellent condition,most of it is less than 3 years old including the cat whcih was changed around 80,000 miles.

ill try some new spark plugs, then a coil pack if that fails.
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

Frequently when the car has been running badly in a variety of ways with misfires, stalling it has simply been the battery I needed to replace.

And whatever you said about the exhaust seeming like it had a problem in your first post like a bad gasket or loose clip, hopefully it something as simple as that for you
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

Took the bosch spark plugs and fitted the old ones to see if this made any differed- i cant say it has. Also gave the coil extensions a quick clean but still no difference.

Just to answer a few suggestions

Engine mounts- as its intermittent problem its unlikely to be this

Car battery- well its possible, although the car starts with no problem at all- even in the winter just gone started always- it is showing around 14.5 volts with the engine running, so again unlikely

ICV- ive had a clean of this it seems to do its job- never had any stalling or revving problems with this car
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

I guess get it scanned by someone on the forum near to you with a Lexia. Thats all I can think of, then it can only be something mechanical atleast
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

is there a list of lexias?- im in leicester by the way :wink:

no worries ive found the lexia thread