Xantia Rev Counter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

landcrab
My Cars:

Xantia Rev Counter

Post by landcrab »

The Rev counter on my 1999 Xantia 1.8 16v Estate has gone up to maximum and stayed there.Never moves even when the engine is switched off. Could this be a sender failure,or a bad earth? Or what?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Landcrab.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Landcrab,

A very common problem if the battery is low on charge and a start is attempted. The needle is simply jammed mechanically on the end-stop.

All you need to do is flick the needle back to zero. Either remove the instruments and tip them upside down or carefully try to insert a thin wire in the odometer reset hole and try to flick the needle. Some have resorted to drilling a small hole to get a thin wire in to do the job.

Else that, tip the whole car upside down :lol: (only joking!) Personally, I'd remove the instruments, not a hard job on a MK2, and if you have any panel bulbs blown, you can replace them at the same time.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
landcrab
My Cars:

Post by landcrab »

Thanks for your quick answer Jim,this Forum is really amazing!

Think I'll try drilling a small hole.

Landcrab.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

No need to if you're careful. Pull off the outer part from your trip meter reset. This gives a much better access through its hole.

Wrap one end of a paperclip lightly in masking tape to stop it scratching. Straighten the clip and carefully feed it into the trip meter rest hole, and to the right. Ease the needle far off the dead stop as you can; once it's unstuck it will reset properly sooner than later. Refit the reset button outer.

(You did replace the battery, right?)
landcrab
My Cars:

Post by landcrab »

Hi Addo, Job done.Your trick with a paperclip worked a treat. Yes I have replaced the battery,with a 85ah Varta,best thing since sliced bread.
Thanks for all the help.
Landcrab.