XUD crankshaft pulley worn

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the_weaver
My Cars:

XUD crankshaft pulley worn

Post by the_weaver »

I've just taken the crankshaft pulley off my ZX 1.9D and noticed that the pulley had some side to side play once the crankshaft pulley bolt is undone. It feels a bit loose to me. There's some wear on the pulley keyway at the rear (engine side) of the pulley, mainly on one side. There is some similar wear on the Woodruff Key.

I had a crankshaft pulley come loose on a car a few years ago, after a mechanic had worked on it, but I can't remember whether it was this car or the previous car I had. I spotted the problem after a while and tightened it up (with Loctite on the crankshaft pulley bolt thread) and it was ok.

The crankshaft pulley is ok when the bolt is tight and hasn't given me any problems. However I'm wondering whether I should do anything to improve the loose keyway before I put it back together. Would standard Loctite (threadlocking type) on the keyway/Woodruff key be a good idea? The only other stuff I've got is something called "CarGo QuikSteel" which is a two part epoxy (I think) putty for fixing broken metal, threads etc. If I used the QuikSteel on the keyway should I let it set before assembly, or assemble and then allow to set?

I suppose I could buy a new Woodruff Key but I haven't got time as I want to put it all back together ASAP, and most of the wear is on the keyway anyway. Is it ok to turn the Woodruff Key around the other way to see if it's gets better? I can see matching wear on the Woodruff Key and on the keyway and it would make sense to turn the Woodruff Key so that the two worn surfaces are not touching each other. Are the sides of the keyway supposed to be straight? There's definitely some wear but the taper might be making the wear look worse than it is.

Paul
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Provided there's no wear in the keyway driving the cam belt sprocket I wouldn't worry too much about it. Push the pulley round till it's tight against the key in the direction it drives then tighten the bolt up with loctite.
Richard W
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Thanks for the reply Richard. I'll check the cambelt sprocket tomorrow, once I've taken the cambelt off. Does the cambelt sprocket just pull off easily?

If the crankshaft pulley bolt did come loose on this car could that have caused wear in the cambelt sprocket keyway as well? I suppose it's the crankshaft pulley bolt that holds them both in place.

Paul