did S1 xantias have asbestos brakes?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citrov6
My Cars:

did S1 xantias have asbestos brakes?

Post by citrov6 »

Just wondering if they had asbestos in the brakes at any point before I start to work on one (other half wants me to find out before I do anything). Don't know exactly when non-asbestos became compulsory or citroen started using them.
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

No idea. Just take the precautions. I put a basin below the hub with a drop of water in it and keep everything dowsed in brake cleaner.....spray it everywhere. Try not to hammer and of course no blowlines. Dispose of fluid in basin and wash it out.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I don't believe they did as it was (I believe) obligatory to put a warning sticker on the slam panel if they did and I've never seen one on a Xantia.

Asbestos was generally phased out before the Xantia went into production.

best to take Lexi's precautions as brake dust, asbestos-free or not, is still pretty nasty stuff and best not inhaled...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

Valeo stopped using asbestos in about 1982. The EU banned the use of asbestos in brakes and clutches about 1990. No major parts manufacturer used asbestos after the mid-eighties.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Why not wear an asbestos-rated facemask when doing the work? That's what I've done before now. A simple white mask with built-in valve isn't uncomfortable and valve stops it cooking your face.

Better than the alternative if asbestos is about.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

JamesQB wrote:Why not wear an asbestos-rated facemask when doing the work? That's what I've done before now. A simple white mask with built-in valve isn't uncomfortable and valve stops it cooking your face.

Better than the alternative if asbestos is about.
Thanks guys, she is a bit comforted reading this thread, and is looking into the face mask now as opposed the full gear.

For information while searching on the net she had found french new paper articles saying in 1997 it was actually banned in french cars and 1993-1995 was a transition period. Maybe the xantia started of in the right way without it, but somewhere there is a list apparently that french car makers have given to their government with their more recent regulations of banning resale of cars that may have asbestos in them pre-97.

Somehow I had thought it was sooner than that like pre-1990, but maybe it was only the specific products you guys mention like with valeo
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!