1.9916 1.9TD Brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rodders100

1.9916 1.9TD Brakes

Post by Rodders100 »

My son has the above, & he has been told to fit 2 new hoses to the front calipers, and also replace the brake fluid. Am I right in thinking that the brakes and the hyds are a dual system and to change 1 you change it all?

Thanks
C5 2.2HDI owner
Rodders100

Xantia 1.9TD Estate

Post by Rodders100 »

Sorry, I forgot the full Car name as above Xantia 1.9TD brakes
C5 2.2HDI owner
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Take care when undoing the union on the inboard end of the flexi hoses where it connects to the rigid pipe. It can be very tight and you need a very good hex 11mm flare nut spanner for the job.

Douse it in Plus-Gas first and if the union nut is reluctant to come loose, don't keep going until you round off the hex. Instead, push the almost "W" shaped spring clip that keeps the flexi hose tight to the bracket through about 90 degrees and squash it with a pair of pipe grips so that the hose can be pulled forward enough to disengage the bi-hex on the end of it from the bracket. You can then use a big pair of mole grips to undo the hose whilst counter-holding the 11mm flare nut. An average flare nut spanner is better at counter-holding than it is at undoing when the going gets tough.

The "W" shaped clip will bend back straight again afterwards, ready to install the new hose.

Follow this guide for brake bleeding afterward. It will also tell you how to change the fluid (LHM) if it is anything other than green.

Bleed the rear brakes too.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Rodders100

Post by Rodders100 »

Thanks for the excellant advice guys
C5 2.2HDI owner