Car's creaking and groaning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI Dave
My Cars:

Car's creaking and groaning

Post by HDI Dave »

Hi all,

Is this a classic sign of anything in particular?
Passed mot last month - 2 advisories, both bottom balljoints and P bushes.
I'm suspecting the P bushes?
Sounds like a submarine in one of them old films..that's dived too deep..and starts...creaking and groaning! Weird,never had it before.

As a side note, crossed wires between me and the wife,(refuelling), meant i've run it into the reserve,fuel light on, twice this week. Now I might be going crazy,but at first I thought it was gurgling or something in the fuel tank?? Seemed to get worse the deeper into the depleting diesel fumes I ventured!
Had my son with me though today,in the front passenger seat, and he thinks it's groaning from the front of the car,underneath.

:? :roll:
would be a nice car if it didn't need constant attention..bloody shi..roen, I want my mundaneo back..wishbone's half price,bushes all included,even the bottom balljoints.....

runs and hides :twisted: :P :twisted:
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave,

Wait until it rains :roll:

I'll wager all the creaks and groans will disappear :lol:

Rattiva does this :twisted:

It'll be rubbers and indeed the "P" bushes are the big suspect...

What you are experiencing is Citroen Character, no other car is like it :P

It talks to you...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote: It talks to you...
...or like Cassy, sometimes farts (much to Danielle's delight!)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Lol, could have been farting but it sounds like she (the xant) has an upset stomach/severe indegestion :lol:

P bushes,

I can't seem to find owt in the haynes :roll: and worse still, I've heard they need pressing in? I do have a good old sturdy vice though if I have to take the wishbone off.Would this be the way to go,being press less?
Any other bushes on the 'bone while it's off the car?

I can never get the search function to work either...I just get a list of random current posts :?

Is there an article on the P bushes hiding on here somewhere?

Much obliged if anyone can find one.

Cheers, Dave.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

"P" bushes are easy enough Dave. No press required :D

All you need is a big cold chisel and a big club hammer along with Weetabix for breakfast.

Before bashing off the old bush, make a critical note of it's alignment relative to the wishbone as this is critical. OE bushes have alignment dots but I've never seen them on pattern bushes and the corresponding dots on the wishbone are usually obliterated by corrosion.

Alignment noted and being aware that the bushes are "handed", apply the chisel to the edge of the bush inner sleeve and drive it off the end of the wishbone.

Place the new bush on the end of the wishbone and hammer fully home using a socket as a mandrel to avoid any damage to the new bush inner sleeve. Use a bit of thin oil as a lube to help the new bush slide on.

Repeat for 'tother side.

As I say, alignment is critical and if the new one is not fitted exactly as the old one was, they'll last no time at all as the rubber will be under excessive tension at normal ride height.

The BoL covers this job reasonably well but assumes the alignment dots are present on both bush and wishbone.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i usualy cut through them with an angle grinder, but whatch you dont cut into the spigot the bush fit's onto, so just cut almost through the inner sleave then split the last tinny bit with a chisle then they drop off,

also as Jim says line the new one up exactly in the corect orientaion as the old one,

i have got a brand new OE old stock arm for an ACTIVA for sale, cant think off hand which side but will check and post on here,

if the creaking turns out to be the rear it will be rear arm bearings, which again arn't to hard a job to do,

regards malcolm