Low Pressure Fuel Pump C5 HPi (petrol)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

birstall

Low Pressure Fuel Pump C5 HPi (petrol)

Post by birstall »

Further to my recent post on the P1113 error, my mechanic fitted a new low pressure fuel pump (from GSF) and it seemed fine when the petrol level was low.

The first indication that there was a problem was when I filled up with fuel. I wondered how I managed to get up to 55 litres of fuel when the tank only holds 44 litres.

I wasn't until I saw a large pool of petrol dispersing from under the vehicle that it dawned on me.

The large black O ring seal (supplied by Citroen) had not been fitted properly. This fits under a flange on the top of the pump to a groove on top of the tank.

It seems there is no way to get the O ring to stay in the groove.

My mechanic has had another go but failed again, and there is still a leak.

He says he had to use glue to keep the O ring in place, but it seems this has failed to work.

I think I'll have to dismantle it myself to have a look at what's going on.

I phoned a Citroen dealer, but he just told me that's what happens when you buy after market parts and that I should have come to them for the work.

Has anyone out there come across this problem before?
Current: C5 HDI Exclusive Saloon
Past : C5 HPI Exclusive Saloon
C5 HPI Exclusive Est
Xantia 1.9TD VSX
BX 1.7 TZD
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

44 Litres? That ain't much - according to my handbook it should be 66 Litres!

Mine is given as 68 litres and I have managed to shoehorn 72 Litres into it.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I don't know if these have the expansion tank (actually I'm not sure if any PSA vehicles do) , the tiny 'tank' inside the tank itself designed to hold just a couple of litres of fuel.

Mainly I think to prevent any leakage if you fill it right up and then the weather warms up.

As far as I am aware, any vehicle's tank capacity quoted will not include said 'expansion' tank...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If the groove on the tank is dry the seal should sit snugly on the groove & the pump assembly pushed down on top of it & keep it pressed on the seal while the ring is screwed back on, if you let the pressure off the pump assembly it will pull the seal back up.