Cooked Engine HG prob gone how urgent to change it?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gaskin
My Cars:

Cooked Engine HG prob gone how urgent to change it?

Post by Gaskin »

I've just managed to stupidly cook the engine in my Xant. By the time I noticed the temp gauge was on the rise it was too late, the yellow warning light on the gauge came on (but not the big red STOP light). Once I'd managed to stop safely it was rather hot. Attempting to use the heater to add to the cooling resulted in no hot air, so not much water....
This is not too unexpected since I'm sure the HG was leaking before and I've been running with the rad cap loose for a while with no problems. I suspect the cap may have sealed and allowed the system to pressurise and forcing the water out of the radiator somewhere - there is water at the bottom of the radiator but it is not clear where it comes from or whether it is from the raod (it rained in Norfolk this morning!).

Having refilled it and bled it all seems OK apart from bubbles in the header tank - HG leak.

So apart from needing a new radiator PDQ the question is how long can you drive a 1.9TD with a leaking HG?

I'm not sure I can face doing the HG. The current engine has a variety of oil leaks and needs a new cambelt anyway.

The best solution would be to source a good engine, sort that out and swap it in but am I up for that?

Cheers

Duncan
97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate 118K - sadly no more....
08 C3 1.4 HDI 38k
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

how longs a bit of string,

regards malcolm
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

gaskin I sort of had similar issues with mine a few years ago.. clutch, cambelt, suspected HG oil leak and a leaking pinion valve on the rack.. pulled engine out and did them all in one hit.. at least then you know a bit more about the engine than you would throwing a spare in..

I took my time (2 weeks in summer, eves and weekends) and it was a pleasant job.. I had another vehicle to use in the meantime..
saying that, the chances are a cheap engine would go straight in, throw a belt or two on it, and after a weekend your back on road..

John
(my engine job is in the xantia blog in my sig )
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

It may well be more than HG modern diesels tend to crack heads quite quickly once the water runs out.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Swapping the engine completely is actually more straightforward than doing a head gasket in my humble...

provided you have access to a weekend, an engine crane and a bit of assistance, there is nothing fundamentally difficult there...

I believe there's a good 'un going begging in Luton :wink:

We'll offer all the advice you may ever need Gaskin.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The only thing you can really do is try it and see what happens. Most head gasket failures I have had in the past have involved the loss of a considerable amount of water in use, eventually the loss has become so great that the vehicle becomes unusable. Having said that, the HG on my XM started leaking and blowing water out about 5,000 miles ago, I loosened the filler cap and have hardly topped it up since.

Peter
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

I reckon the engine swap is the best way assuming a suitable one can be found...... along with time and assistance.

I'm sure I'll be back to take up the kind offers of tips and advice.

First up I guess is a trip to get a new radiator with lots of water in the boot!

Cheers

Duncan
97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate 118K - sadly no more....
08 C3 1.4 HDI 38k
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Get a Radiator from AutoKool, on Flea bay, they sell Alluminium Rads for about 70 quid!

Ive had 3 from them now, they all seem very good...

You just CANNOT go wrong with the Engine in Luton, its just had a clutch and cam belt from what he said...

I see you have got in there!! Hope you get it!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto