xantia suspension gremlin

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robs
My Cars:

xantia suspension gremlin

Post by robs »

I have an s reg xantia 1.9td, havent had it long - few months, but thus far it hasnt skipped a beat. The rear drops when I switch off the ignition, but I trust this is the norm.

Today, on starting the car, the back didnt rise up making the ride uncomfortable. The front was at normal ride height.

To address, I selected max height. Both front and rear quickly attained max height. I then selected normal ride height, the front lowered to normal but the rear remained high!

I selected min height, the car lowered quickly, I then moved the height selecter to the white line above the normal height line. As soon as the rear started to move up, I quickly selected the normal height and the car moved to normal height.

Something isnt right but I am not sure what. Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob
Rob
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Sounds like the white plastic link on the rear height controller has come off. This is a very common problem. A search of the many past posts on this forum will yield a wealth of information. Although it is a cheap part to obtain from the dealer and easy to refit, the fact that it has come off is symbolic of other problems. The most common is that the HC linkage has seized up and needs to be removed, cleaned, freed up, covered in waterproof grease/lubricant and refitted. However, it is also likely that the small metal ball on the HC linkage that the clip pushes onto has corroded to such an extent that the clip does not attach with sufficient strength to stop it popping off again. Solutions to this range from replacement with a new linkage (expensive) to wrapping the ball in something to increase its diameter (cheap - but not ideal). I've gone down the wrapping route allied to an inelegant bracket to prevent the clip coming off. But do read the advice from others more experienced than me, and whatever you do don't mess with the HC linkage without supporting the car to prevent it from dropping on you.

Cheers

Duncan
97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate 118K - sadly no more....
08 C3 1.4 HDI 38k
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Rear height corrector link issues.
Most likely it's stiff and needs a good lubing, or it could be that the "dogbone" has popped off, normally either from a seized roll corrector link, or through old age where the plastic ball cups wear away making it loose or crack.

Get the car on high, support at the rear jacking points with axle stands, set the car on low, switch off and get under the back to give the height linkage a good spray with WD40 or other cleaning spray and then spray grease to lube it.

Whatever you do, NEVER WORK UNDER THE CAR WITHOUT SUPPORTING IT ON AXLE STANDS/SECURE JACK!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:SECURE JACK!
No such thing :twisted: Never rely on any sort of jack as a trustworthy support..

Axles Stands or Ramps are the only reliable and safe means of support. Even then, rock the car vigorously before venturing underneath to be 100% sure it's firmly supported...

25 or so years ago, an uncle of mine got run over by his own tractor. He was working on it and accidentally knocked it into gear. he suffered severe crush injuries he was lucky to survive. He did but now in old age it's all coming back to haunt him. The sort of injuries he received were similar to what would happen if a Xantia comes down on you. They can KILL.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
robs
My Cars:

Post by robs »

Thanks for the excellent advice. Car secured on axle stands, I ventured forth beneath the belly of the beast. It was indeed the white plastic cup which had come off the knuckle.

There appeared to be surface rust on the knuckle, and the entire assembly was quite stiff - it took some persuading, liberal application of WD40 helped - but it all looked in fairly good nick. Time will tell.

Thanks again for your sagelike wisdom.

Rob

:D
Rob
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Rob,

That's good news :D If you find the link pops off again, replace it with a new one as hairline cracks can develop in the ballcups. Also, if the height corrector mechanism was stiff and a bit rusty, it may need some deeper attention.

there have been a few topics recently on this very subject and how to give the corrector mechanism a real good going over. If you can't find them, I'm sure someone will be only too happy to point you to them.

Basically, you'll need to release the white clip again, release the hydraulic valve and release the manual adjustment linkage so that both spring-loaded pivots can be swung freely; they should both rotate about their pivots very freely with no appreciable stiffness.

WD-40 usually helps free them and then long-term, keep them well lubricated with spray grease or motorbike chain lubricant.

Not too much though or the MOT man may fail you for a suspect leaky height corrector!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...