Engine oil leaking from camshaft oil seal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnCKL
My Cars:

Engine oil leaking from camshaft oil seal

Post by JohnCKL »

Hi, I have a 96 Xantia 1.9TD which has a leaky camshaft oil seal. I've replaced that oil seal 3-4 times and after a few weeks it will leak again. It happened ever since I sent my car for an engine overhaul. Now even the top engine cover leaks oil, even after changing the rubber gasket. Any suggestions?
Xantia 1.9TD 1996
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the oil seal leak could be the cam has worn down were it sit's in the seal,

the leaky cover gasket could be someone has over tightend the cover bolts, and stessed the cover,

do you know of Sujit who lives in Malaysia, and is a citroen enthusiast

regards malcolm
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi John,
Here are few pointers.

1.When you next change the seal:

a)Inspect the camshaft boss, to see if there are any cross marks on the wear ridge, if so the boss will have to be turned down and a ring boss heat shrunk on.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=

b)If the boss is OK, then remove the seal and inspect the rubbing edge with the aid of a magnifying lens, and see if there is any damage the the seal.
If no damage is visible, slip off the spring from the seal, and you will see that it is joined, this is just screwed together, unscrew the spring and cut off about 15mm from the non tapered end, then screw together and re-use.
This will slightly tighten the sealing edge onto the cam boss.

c) Regarding the cam cover leak.

If you inspect the underside of the cam cover, you will notice some protrusions that limit the distance the cover can be closed.
Get a flat piece of glass and stretch some fine wet and dry over the glass, soak with light oil or diesel, then gently rub the underside of the cover over the abrasive paper until all the protrusions are shiny.
This will allow a little extra compression of the gasket.

Good Luck
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Thanks Malcolm and Brian. Yes, I know Surjit and we are going to work on the problems soon. When I realized the leak on the cam cover, the next change of gasket the bolts were not over tightened but still it leaks.

Brian, I will check the camshaft and oil seal. Have to repair it cos of all the oil leaking down, its damaging all the rubber parts below. Will also do the cam cover. Hope your suggestions work.

Thanks guys.
Xantia 1.9TD 1996
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Surjit is working towards buying my CX 2.5 TRI saffari from me,

regards malcolm
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Oh wow! He's already got quite a collection of 'vintage' cars. lol.
Xantia 1.9TD 1996