xantia car wobbles

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

baldrick
My Cars:

xantia car wobbles

Post by baldrick »

Hi,
i have deisel xantia which has just started to wobble,it feels as if one of the wheels are loose.
it started suddenly and seems to appear at about 5mph and goes worse with speed,if i free wheel it seems to go,also when accellerating the gear shift seems to drop down slighly.
I've only been able to check the tyres as yet and they seem ok
could this be an engine mounting fault
any ideas.
thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Could be an engine mount - or a drive shaft. Engine mounts can probably be inspected visually (with difficulty) - have a good look at the back stabiliser - the round one at the back of the engine visible from underneath. This one may be difficult to check without putting it under load but an indication may be given by trying to rock the engine back and forwards. Otherwise get someone to try and drive forwards while you watch and see if the engine moves an appreciable distance.
Test the driveshafts by driving on full lock and listening for noises from the outer joints or by pushing and pulling up and down on the inner joints. I think the inner are unlikely.
An obvious one to check for is a bent wheel- jack it up and spin it and see if it spins true. also listen for othe noises from hub or driveshaft. Grab the tyre and try and shake the wheel (with the brake off) - you may be able to detect hub bearing wear but this is not easy and may not show up.
jeremy
baldrick
My Cars:

Post by baldrick »

just had car jacked up with handbrake of, a brick placed under the passenger side wheel to stop it turning,the vibration (wobble )appeared when the drivers side wheel began to turn.there is no freeplay in the bearings but the drive shaft does make a clicking sound and there seems to be more play in this shaft than the other.
About 6 months back i split the shaft and some needle rollers came out but due to an illness i was rushed to hospital and my wife was left to find a mobile mechanic to finish the job,she has now informed me that the mechanic couldnt fit all the needle rollers back in,i know that this job wants doing now but could that be the wobble fault.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

yes!
New shafts are quite reasonably priced - especially if your gaiters are dodgy and are going to need doing shortly. I don't think individual joints are available probably as they cost nearly as much as the complete shafts are available for.
Were the needle rollers on the inner or outer joint? With encouragement from a mechanic who does some work for me I was able to replace the outer gaiter without removing the shaft - I was able to separate the shaft in situ by striking the joint sharply with a hammer having slid the boot back. I should have used a copper hammer but was getting desparate and got away with using a lump hammer.
Jeremy
baldrick
My Cars:

Post by baldrick »

It was the inner joint that lost its rollers.i have managed to get a complete second hand shaft but dont know if its for the diesel,will have to check it tomorrow against the old one when i get it off,thats if i manage to get a socket for the hub nut.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

If the hub nut is the same as a BX it's 36 mm, and it is very tight I have wrecked endless 1/2inch drives over the years, including Snap On ones! 3/4 drive is the best way plus about a metre of scaffold pipe to spare your back
________
Box Vaporizers
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Missing rollers will most definately be the cause of your wobble.....get it changed asap. Had the same on a BX.
baldrick
My Cars:

Post by baldrick »

Replaced drive shaft and the wobble has now gone,also steering now seems lighter.
thanks to all replies.[:)]