Airbag warning light on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Airbag warning light on

Post by MikeT »

I've repaired the connector by replacing the OE with a deans plug to facilitate seat removal if required.

It worked for the first few starts but has returned and will come on with every startup. It blinks for ages, the eventually goes solid until turned off then the process repeats. The repair job is sound.

So, if it's not the infamous underseat connector, what else could be wrong? I got dialogue with the ECU after doing the connector repair and cleared the logged fault. I guess I should load up Lexia again and read the actual recorded fault...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Do you have lateral airbags in the seats ? have you done these connections aswell?
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Hi Wheeler,

There's just a driver's airbag in the steering wheel on mine, no side airbags on the seats, not even a passenger airbag.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Mike
I had a problem with my air bag light.It turned out to be the connection on the seatbelt pre tensioner.Its similar to the type that is used for the steering wheel airbag but does get pulled about a bit with everyday use.Its held in place by a metal clip which in my case had lost its shape.
You have to take the seat out of its runners to be able to get at the plastic cover that is held in place with 1 torx screw.Once you have access its easy enough to just secure the connection in place with a cable tie :)
Mine has now lasted for 2 months without any reacurrance of the fault :D

Colin
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Hi Colin,

So there's another connector living under the seat, I didn't know that. Thanks.
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Mike

Not under the seat as in where the usual connector issue lives but its the other end of the cable.The cable routes itself up over the seat runner and into the pre tensioner(think thats what its called) which is attatched to the bit the seat belt clips into.If you take the seat out and turn it on its side you can easily see the plastic cover.

Hope this makes sense,my descriptions are up to my usual poor standards :lol:

Colin
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I'm sure I'll find it when I can get a chance to look, Colin. Your description was understood. I've Not taken a seat out before but understand you have to shuttle it full back to undo front bolts, then full forward to undo rears?
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Mike

Not sure if there is a wrong way of doing it but i usually do the rear bolts first :)

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

One tip.

Drill the round plastic seat pad holes out to 8mm so the seat bolts have clearance. Because they're an interference fit on the bolts, it makes seat removal a nightmare as you have to counter-hold them.

Drilling them out makes refitting (and subsequent removal) so much easier :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

My problem was with the passenger airbag, key operated switch. It just needed a drop of WD40, turning off and on again and hey presto the light went out.
Hope this helps.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
ksanturion10
My Cars: Xantia Estate X1 1.8i, 16v

Re: Airbag warning light on

Post by ksanturion10 »

+1 for the under seat connector, just touched the wiring, didn't even located where the conn is, and the warning stoped appearing. Nais :D
Only himself the stupid makes wrong, many are being confused by the clever :P
ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 »

Unfortunately, this warning continue to appear nevertheless I've put some thin copper sheets between the pins of the under-seat connector. I will try to look around the belt clip as mentioned above. Does anyone knows where to find this thing - "passenger airbag, key operated switch"?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The design of air bag system changed several times during production of the Xantia, and there was probably also variation between markets.

The S1 Xantia did not have the key operated switch to disable the passenger air bag, so that is not your problem.

Can you describe exactly what symptoms you have and is it the main air bag warning light or the side air bag light that you are having problems with?
ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 »

I have only the two front airbags - driver and passenger seats. I haven't seen any markings suggesting side airbags.
The symptoms are like the ones already discussed above - sometimes the air bag light starts blinking after some time driving, and sometimes right after the first start for the day. It is blincking for some time and then becomes permanent until the next shut down and restart of the engine.
I think, that the problem lies into the belt clipping device, because at sometimes it tends to unclip by itself [-o< , probably something is worn-out as suggested above.
Actually this light started appearing after I changed the ignition key assembly with original one - the old was from another car and had bypass relay for the starter. At first I tought that I've made damage to the driver's air bag cable while the assembly work, but after that I've red about the under seat connector relation...
My MOT is comming and I want to sort-out this problem. If it is possible ofcource. Any help will be appreciated.

P.S.: Ok, ok, just to say, that I'm jumping from a 1985 Kadett E, which don't have nor ABS, nor Airbags, nor whatever :-D . Just kidding, if they start making them again I would take loan and buy new one right a way #-o .
I'm pretty sure now, that I've messed up the rotary switch into the steering wheel.
I removed the seat, and the under seat cable rooting to the pretensioner pyro-stuff, and checked it for continuity - actually had luck, didn't know that I would set the pretensioner on if I've measure it directly through the cable end with the multimeter :oops: .
Visually, both have not been activated by now.
I saw videos of checking the "fire starter" (prodigy :) ) with a multimeter without activating the pyro stuff, but everywhere I've red, those of the Citroen\Peugeot, would fire while been checked. Just wondering how the Airbag system checks them without activating them. I've actually opened the cable connector end, which plugs to the "fire starter" and saw that there is a coil with ferrite core for one of the lines, maybe this has something to do with the system checks for OL's.
Generally, is there a way to check if there is something wrong with the pretensioner assembly without using Lexia?