AX GT Indicator Relay Constant ticking!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheesesliceking

AX GT Indicator Relay Constant ticking!

Post by cheesesliceking »

[:I]
Hello,
I've a 1990 AX GT, after i turn on the ignition the indicator relay ticks constantly and the indicator light on the dashboard flashes. but the actual exterior indicators are unaffected, ie the ystill woprk when i want them to & they do not flash in conjunstion with the mad ticking relays.
hope that made sense & i hope someone can help, as the constant ticking is driving me potty.
Thanks[:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

csk -
I agree this is annoying - but the fact that no other noises overdo this ticking tells you your AX is a nice car driving - at least [8D]
Why not simply give it a first try by replacing that annoying creature -
Indicator relays are standard components - only a few standard types exists - and they are cheap - some £10-15 should readily do it.
It's located in your fusebox - generally cased in a larger housing than the other relays - but do'nt confuse it with your wipers timing relay. There should be a legend print to identify the relay - anyway - removing the correct one should immediately stop your indicators working.
If that does'nt help - we're still here to bring you back on track [;)]
cheesesliceking

Thank you thank you, I have another AX GT which I'm breaking for spares, so i shall take it from that, thanks for your help, its greatly appreciated.[:D]
Additionally, if anyone needs any spares for an AX GT i have the full set..minus the front bumper & radiator[xx(]
[:)][:D][8D][:)][:D][8D]
cheesesliceking

Hi Anders(DK),
I've swapped the relay over, but it still keeps with the constant ticking![:(]
N E More ideas ?[:)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

TONS of ideas [:D]
- well the easy one did'nt work - so now it's brain time [:o)]
The indicator relay relies on a certain low limit amount of current drawn, to blink at a certain rate. This current is correct only if all indicator bulbs are at work - 1 bulb blown - a hi blink rate is the result used as fault indicator.
If we then assume that a small current STILL flows - even with the stalk at rest - the relay would blink/tick at a hi rate.
What you should be looking for, are false current paths in the stalk switch area - or - in the hazard warning switch circuit - since this also utilises the indicator relay. Usually these switches have from factory greased slide contact points - which collects dust/burns over time - making for (partial) shortcircuits.
AFAIR the AX stalk switch assembly is quite easy to replace.
The problem can not be related to the bulbs - since these are disrupted with the stalk switch at rest.
cheesesliceking

We seem to be getting there now, I have noticed that when the indicator stem is in the off position it still ticks... but if i push the lever up very slightly it stops but starts when i let it back down again...hmmm i think u r right about the contacts, i shall try to take apart the assembly to see if the contacts need greasing/cleaning. I'll keep you informed.
If i need to take off the sterring wheel to take the stalks off, will i be able to do this easily? do i need to get a new locking bolt for it or can i use the one that is on already?
Thanks for your help [:D][:D][:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The AX is approx same generation as BX - which are the species I know about. The AX stalk switch assembly should be the same as on the BX.
Removing the steering wheel should be no problem - simply unscrewing a center nut under the middle padding - then pull/wriggle the wheel off. What you then have to disassemble should be pretty obvious.
cheesesliceking

Cool[8D]
Am i ok using the same Locking nut again for the steering wheel or would i have to buy another?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I really do'nt know . . .
. . . I've ALLWAYS re-used the locknut - and NEVER experienced ANY problems with loose/ratling steering wheels - on (in total 8) BX'es & 2 CX'es messed around with the last 13 y's [:D][:D]
cheesesliceking

[:D][:D] Cool, just wanted to know before, before removing the thing[:D][:D],
noz
My Cars:

Post by noz »

cheesesliceking,
Although you've found that the stalk position affects your symptoms it could simply be that you're part way between switch positions and have disconnected the circuit. My best guess from your symptoms would have to be the hazard warning switch. I have had a similar fault before in the CX and a replacement switch cured the problem.
Best of luck
Cheers
noz
cheesesliceking

Cheers
noz
do you mean the actual switch i would press to set off the hazards? this may be an obvious question but i'm so stoooopid ![:o)]
[:D][:D]
noz
My Cars:

Post by noz »

Thats the one
cheers
noz
cheesesliceking

Cheers m8y,
It've still not got around to fixing it, although i have noticed tht when i turn on the headlights the ticking stops...[B)]