My C5 HDI update/experience so far - New(ish) owner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

timborob
My Cars:

My C5 HDI update/experience so far - New(ish) owner

Post by timborob »

I have now had the car back from its Head Gasket repair around a month now and all has been Ok with the water level so far.

I have really tried not to think about it but the worry of that "beep" sound and the "Top Up Fluid" is still haunting me everytime I go for a drive.
:?

I can say I am happy with the car in general and that I am getting more used to the handling and nice suspension setup which is almost on par with my last car which was a Rover 75.
I do find the suspension is rather noisy/crashy when going over the many speed bumps around my way but you don't really feel them.
maybe there's something not quite right with my car but it feels right
on most other surfaces

The steering is actually better and more direct than the Rover I had
but I have read other reports it was sloppy which doesn't make sense to me.

The seats have also grown on me, at first I thought they were abit too soft but with the use of the armrest which helps with support things have improved.

Fuel Consumption :

When I collected from Walsall i filled up with £50 of diesel and have covered around 370 miles and the trip computer today is stating I still have around 90 miles left till empty and that I have averaged 33.6 mpg.

Intially after coming off the 135 mile motorway journey the trip computer
was stated I'd done around 46 mpg, so I think the overall mpg is good as
most of the other 230+ miles has been done on short journey's no longer than 10 miles at a time.

I find this much better than the Petrol Auto Rover 75 which would soon show and stick around 20mpg and at best i got 38mpg on the same type of motorway driving.

I'm still finding the oil level guage is tempermental and that the outside temperature guage is constantly showing around 15 C more than it actually is outside which is strange as when i first got the car it wasn't working.

Looks like i will just have to learn to ignore these !
:lol:

I have recently added a Aux adaptor to the car so now can play my MP3 through the CD player which again is better than what was fitted to the Rover 75 as atleast has some bass available.
:)

I do hope to keep this car for several years now and has now got a Private plate on it as was a gift to give me some luck with it!
Regards
Tim

03 Citroen C5 2.0 110 HDI VTR Mauritius Blue 109K
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Hi Tim,

Sounds as though your quite enjoying C5 ownership now, it was very unfortunate to have a HGF on your C5, as this seems very uncommon to me.

What noise is your C5s suspension making over bumps? A clatter from the rear should not be there and if there is a rattling from the front its probably worn drop links - easy fix. I find my C5 quiet over bumps, sometimes the front makes a bang as it comes to the end of its downward travel when going fast over speed bumps, but apart from that its quiet.

The steering, especially on the later S1 cars, like yours and mine, is actually quite direct and accurate. Sticking with the mate S1 point, they have quite a few of the modifacations which went into the S2 or facelifted C5, giving them slightly better handling than the earlier ones, but also there are small changes with the electrics and things, rear wiper on the hatch, alarm etc. So its a bit like a C5 S1.5!

Your fuel consumption does seem around about right for short journeys. I get 42MPG on average on the trip computer, which usually works out to around 45/46MPG when i work it out at the pumps (trip computers differ from the actual) I do a lot of motorway driving but my average is mixed with a fair amount of town driving. On a good motorway run i usually get around 48-50MPG ... driving at high speeds...

Has your car had an oil change recently? Dirty oil can make the oil level sensor play up and confuses it. Mine was doing this when i got it, but after two oil changes and two forte engine flushes before the oil changes its now spot on all of the time, as are the other C5s we have.

The outside temperature display should work well, i find them very accurate. The sensor is in the N/S door mirror, these can fail but i think its a reasonably easy and not expensive job to change them.

Out of interest, what Aux adapter have you gone for? Have you kept your C5s standard radio/CD but added a ipod connection wire?

Hopefully your C5 will provide reliable service from now on. :)

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Re: My C5 HDI update/experience so far - New(ish) owner

Post by Trainman »

timborob wrote: I do find the suspension is rather noisy/crashy when going over the many speed bumps around my way but you don't really feel them.
on most other surfaces l:
Tim,
Am I right in thinking that this a new car, :?: the only reason I ask is that there is a software upgrade available for the C6 and given the suspension is the same set up (depending on the model) it could be worth a chat to the main steeler :wink:
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I've recently replaced the outside temperature sender on my C5, briefe details here http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ure+sensor
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
timborob
My Cars:

Post by timborob »

Hi Chris
Some replies for you below
Citroenmad wrote:Hi Tim,

Sounds as though your quite enjoying C5 ownership now, it was very unfortunate to have a HGF on your C5, as this seems very uncommon to me.

Chris.
Yes I am now enjoying the C5 as around here I haven't seen many of them which helps as nice to have something abit different!

I have read quite a few HDI engines are starting to get HGF due to previous owners probably running the cars without proper Anti-freeze mixture as diluted over time it can will weaken the Gasket.

I really hope my repair was done properly and atleast i do have a written years warranty
Citroenmad wrote:
What noise is your C5s suspension making over bumps?
It mostly makes noise from the front as if the front wheels are falling/crashing so probably has worn linkages as you say

I hope there not too bad as paid enough out for now
:?
Citroenmad wrote:
Your fuel consumption does seem around about right for short journeys
Thats good to know and thought it was about right.
I should expect my figure to drop to around 30 mpg when I refill as most of my journeys are short and max of 10 miles each way really
I am planning on going to cornwall for my summer holiday's so will be interesting what I get on the trip computer then.
Citroenmad wrote:
Has your car had an oil change recently?
My oil was changed as part of the HGF but maybe it was rather bad before as the service history is not that complete on the car.

Hopefully with another change in 6 months again may help it as it did for you, If not I can live with it as use to checking the dipstick.
Citroenmad wrote:
The outside temperature display should work well, i find them very accurate. The sensor is in the N/S door mirror, these can fail but I think its a reasonably easy and not expensive job to change them.
My display was showing 32C when i first got in car today but doubt it was over 17C so its out by a fair bit!,As I said when I first got the car it wasn't working at all.

I have read you can pop the mirror off to get to the sensor and that most of the time it's wet and holds water and that sometimes you can dry it out
then seal it with silicone sealant.

I will have to look into it when I've got a few days off which won't be till
atleast August
:cry:
Citroenmad wrote:
Out of interest, what Aux adapter have you gone for? Have you kept your C5s standard radio/CD but added a ipod connection wire?

Hopefully your C5 will provide reliable service from now on. :)
As you see on the other thread I had gone for the Connects2 which connects to the OEM radio and has just a 3.5mm jack lead connection.

It does give excellent sound quality but as you say you do have to turn the volume up a far bit to equal the built in radio/CD levels.

I connected my Nokia phone to it today and the volume was down abit more than my MP3 player and had it upto around level 20 which would have been 12 if I was listening to a CD.

There's still 10 levels left as my set goes up to 30 so should be enough to play with
:wink:

I too hope my C5 is practically trouble free for me now
Regards
Tim

timborob
My Cars:

Post by timborob »

Paul-R wrote:I've recently replaced the outside temperature sender on my C5, briefe details here http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ure+sensor
Thanks for the link
I will have a good read through it
I'm sure it will come in handy when I have the time to change it.
Regards
Tim

timborob
My Cars:

Re: My C5 HDI update/experience so far - New(ish) owner

Post by timborob »

Trainman wrote:
timborob wrote: I do find the suspension is rather noisy/crashy when going over the many speed bumps around my way but you don't really feel them.
on most other surfaces l:
Tim,
Am I right in thinking that this a new car, :?: the only reason I ask is that there is a software upgrade available for the C6 and given the suspension is the same set up (depending on the model) it could be worth a chat to the main steeler :wink:
I wish it was
as I would like to try one!

Still I'm happy I atleast have one of the better S1 C5's
Regards
Tim

Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Well i cant say ive heard of HGF being a problem on the 2.0HDi, though i do remember you saying you have seen it elsewhere, picasso forum or something. I guess it pays to keep your coolent in good condition.

Anti roll bar drop links cause a rattling over bumps, its quite annoying. If you get someone to rock the car from the side while you put your hand on the drop link arm you should be able to feel it knocking. Its quite a common thing to go on C5s, ive replaced quite a few now. They range from anywhere between £15-£35 depending on if you get aftermarket of genuine items. I do find geniune ones last longer.

I never just stay confined to the town but i do do quite a lot of town driving, though it doesnt seem to effect my average MPg by too much, im pretty pleased with the economy of mine. MAF sensors dont last forever and when they start to go faulty they often make the MPG drop with little or no other effects, sometimes a slight drop in performance. Ive had this before too, mine came up on a lexia as a fault code.

Im not sure how the mirror backs come off, it is handy having an outside temp gauge though. Ive read of a few people on here replacing theirs, seems a reasonably simple job.

Well if you have any further problems, here is the place to be :)

As for not seeing many C5s around, your lucky, as there are quite a lot of them around here. A couple of horrible yellow taxis even.

Does your VTR have the optional sports pack? (rear spoiler and chrome grille). There is a silver VTR hatch, just like mine, which runs around here with that kit on, it does look rather good, well the spoiler anyway. I dont remember seeing a blue VTR, Is that the Mauritious metallic blue you have?
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
timborob
My Cars:

Post by timborob »

Hi again Chris
Citroenmad wrote:Well i cant say ive heard of HGF being a problem on the 2.0HDi.
I hadn't heard much till i got the symptoms and started searching for it
there are alot more picasso's sold and mostly Deisel's and why it showed the same symptoms up on there forums.

Looks like the weakest spot on the Gasket is around cylinder 3 whichs allow gas into the coolant which then pumps it out of the expansion tank.
Citroenmad wrote:
Anti roll bar drop links cause a rattling over bumps, its quite annoying...
Thanks for letting me know, would this cause an MOT failure then?
My car had 10 months on when i brought it orginally in March.
Citroenmad wrote:
I never just stay confined to the town but i do do quite a lot of town driving, though it doesnt seem to effect my average MPg by too much, im pretty pleased with the economy of mine. MAF sensors dont last forever and when they start to go faulty they often make the MPG drop with little or no other effects, sometimes a slight drop in performance. Ive had this before too, mine came up on a lexia as a fault code.
I'm pretty much confined to town driving and speeds of 15-20mph and lots of speed bumps living in South London
I will have to make a point of driving out to the A3 to keep those cobwebs clear
Citroenmad wrote:
Im not sure how the mirror backs come off, it is handy having an outside temp gauge though. Ive read of a few people on here replacing theirs, seems a reasonably simple job.
I have read it can be awkward to pop the mirror out but haven't attempted it yet as rather heavy handed and don't want a broken mirror
if i can help it as my luck's bad enough as it is!
Citroenmad wrote: Well if you have any further problems, here is the place to be :)
It sure seems to be the place to be
some great help on here
Citroenmad wrote: As for not seeing many C5s around, your lucky, as there are quite a lot of them around here.
I have seen quite a few driving past but theres not one parked at all close to me as i walk my dog around all the local roads and not been spotted yet!.
A mentioned before there is a Rare Blue SM close only 50 yards from me but i have got to speak to the owner yet as don't know which house he lives in (will have to enquire!)
Citroenmad wrote: Does your VTR have the optional sports pack? (rear spoiler and chrome grille). There is a silver VTR hatch, just like mine, which runs around here with that kit on, it does look rather good, well the spoiler anyway. I dont remember seeing a blue VTR, Is that the Mauritious metallic blue you have?
I do have a Rear spoiler and a chome mesh grill on the front but i thought most VTRs had these?

I must say it was the look with the spoiler and the coloured coded blue interior that made me buy this particular car

I think it is Mauritious Blue but haven't checked the Paint code yet
I will check it out and send a picture on once its cleaned as full of dust at present
Regards
Tim

Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Hi Tim,

Badly worn drop links might well cause an MOT failure yes. Thats if yours are on the way out.

Yes, i can't imagine many cars get good MPG in London!

No, VTRs didnt come with a spoiler or chrome grill kit, that was an option at the time. I have the brochure for the relevant year C5 to mine which says its an optional 'sports pack'. Mine does not have this fitted, i do quite like the look of them with a spoiler though.

Yes the interior is one reason i wanted the late S1 VTR spec, its very nice with its blue and grey seats, blue centre console and matching seatbelts.

Another reason being i like the 2.0HDi 110, quite a hardy engine (usually!) and does without the FAP filter unlike the facelifted C5s - good for you doing mostly town driving.

The VTR is a nice spec in my opinion.

Does yous have manual air conditioning with the three knobs? Usually 03/53reg cars have this and 04> have the dual zone climate control, which is what mine has.

I initially wanted a met. red one, wicked red i think it is, but i didnt find any good ones. I always seem to end up with silver cars, which i like as its an easy colour to live with.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
timborob
My Cars:

Post by timborob »

Hello Chris,

I am soon to have some New Discs and pads fitted allround so will ask for the Suspension to be inspected at the same time as really wouldn't know what to look for as abit of a Novice.

I drove around Shepards Bush area today and moved only 2 miles in about an hour and after a total of 12 miles my trip computer showed an average of 20.7mpg and an average speed of 8 mph
:(

I definately have the large colour coded spoiler and a chrome Mesh under the main grill and chrome plastic in the main grill but thought all C5's had this?

Mine does have Manual Air Conditioning which looks neat enough and does its job well as it is colder than my previous car but would benefit from a regas no doubt.

I too wanted a Met Red one and almost brought a 52- plate SX which was one owner and only 52K but it was sold after it was agreed I'd buy it
which upset me some :shock:

Still I went on to buy this car afterwards so it turned out OK in the end
Regards
Tim

wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

i got a red one, i wanted a grey or silver one, my last 3 vans have been red im not bothered too much once its good car
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Hi Tim,

Ive just fitted new discs and pads on the front of mine, it had rears just before i bought it. It also required new callipers at the back due to the caliper twisting problem. Id ask for the garage to lubricate the handbrake lever on each front calliper. As this can stick and hold the brake on, they might do it anyway but best to ask.

Wow, 2 miles in an hour, you would be best off getting a bike :lol:

My brochure for model year 11/2003 says, under optional equipment on VTR, "VTR Sports Pack: mesh grille and rear spoiler (optional dealer fitted equipment)". So yours has the optional kit on.

My VTR was not fitted with this, but they do all have the chrome bar in the upper grille. This is mine:

Apparantly they did two blue colours in that date, Admiral blue - which is very dark and Oriental blue - which is slightly lighter. They must have stopped the nice maurautis blue at some point.

I find that the VTR does drive nicer than the 52 SX we have. Its more tought and delivers a better drive, although the suspension is a little firmer too. I think revisions were on going during C5 production, the later the model the more imrpovements towards the facelift car were fitted.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
timborob
My Cars:

Post by timborob »

Hi Chris

I hope to get some better than OEM discs and pads fitted which are
Drilled and vented but am relying upon my Mechanic friend to get them and do the job in a few weeks time.

He says he has changed many brakes and comes well recommended on the Rover forums and was the guy who sold on my Rover 75 for me.

I ended up doing 6 miles in 1 hour 20 minutes!
:cry:

Hey that's another Nice VTR i can now say I've seen
:D

It looks pretty good in Silver too and expect its easier to keep it looking good as finding mine gets dusty looking quickly.

Does anyone know how many C5 VTRs were actually made
I know there wasn't many C5s sold here in the UK as a whole.

Can you tell me how to attach photo's in the post like that as haven't worked it out yet!

I'd say the black grille on the bottom looks just as good (if not better) than the chrome grill i have especially as mine needs poilshing up!

I have the car parked at work tonight so can't confirm the paint code today but will make it priority to look for tomorrow
I did put a small picture of it in as my avatar so maybe you are good at guessing dark blue shades?

Also will I find the paint code under the bonnet or in the door frame?
Thanks
Regards
Tim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX