smoking under acceleration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

littlelandie

smoking under acceleration

Post by littlelandie »

i have a 1.9td citroen synergie under acceleration or climbing a hill it puts out alot of sooty looking smoke. i have no overheating issues and the turbo is working well,it just smokes alot, any ideas?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

First things first before getting too involved, is the oil level correct and is the air filter clean ? , a dirty air filter will cause smoke...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Is it smoking all the time or just when you first put your foot down? could just be a build up of soot in the exhaust. Its unusual for a TD to smoke unless someone has been fiddling with the pump.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

too much fuel or not enough air.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I assume "sooty" means black? (Otherwise blue is engine oil) so the above posts apply.

In addition, it also means the exhaust gas temperature is much higher than intended and, over an extended period, could melt the turbo or worse. If possible, try using less throttle and/or a lower gear when you see the smoke, it can make a world of difference to the EGT's.
littlelandie

Post by littlelandie »

Peter.N. wrote:Is it smoking all the time or just when you first put your foot down? could just be a build up of soot in the exhaust. Its unusual for a TD to smoke unless someone has been fiddling with the pump.
it just smokes when you put your foot down or when you make it work up a hill,it looks quite bad sometimes with a large cloud it is not oily blue just black and sooty
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds like overfueling or shortage of air, overfueling less likely unless someone has altered the pump, has the air filter been changed lately? Could also be caused by a collapsed air inlet hose, although the pump should adjust the fuel according to the boost pressure, so there is something odd. Does it continue to smoke all the while you are pulling up hill?

Peter
littlelandie

Post by littlelandie »

Peter.N. wrote:Sounds like overfueling or shortage of air, overfueling less likely unless someone has altered the pump, has the air filter been changed lately? Could also be caused by a collapsed air inlet hose, although the pump should adjust the fuel according to the boost pressure, so there is something odd. Does it continue to smoke all the while you are pulling up hill?

Peter
yes it looks like a black sooty cloud that does get less towards the end of a climb.a friend suggests that the pump may need adjusting/retuning and this needs a dial gauge to set it up properly
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

You need a dial gauge to set the timing, although strictly you don't, I've been doing it by by ear for years, but if the timing was out it would cause other symptoms like poor starting and quiet running if retarded and exagerated knocking if it was to advanced.

If it was retarded enough to make it smoke it wouldn't run properly, so it will be the fuel that needs adjusting I don't know what pump you have, the old Bosch mechanical ones were easy to adjust, no doubt another member will know how to do yours, although I can't really see why it should need it.

Peter
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

i have exactly the same problem on a 306td.. the owner is catching a ferry to france end of week and is very stressed about it.. air filter change plus checking for any intake issues, plus changing the fuel lines to be clear plastic are my first ports of call.. the only thing she did leading up to this was a tank of derv (normally it runs on WVO) and some injector cleaner.....

fuel filter has been changed..
I should get half an hour with the car later..

John