Recently purchased citroen Xantia and problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

markr

Recently purchased citroen Xantia and problems

Post by markr »

I have recently purchased a P reg Citroen Xantia 1.8 TD from a work colleague who has emigrated,

It was sold to me with the knowledge that the radio was US and it needs a code for same (No documents radio is sealed in centre consul and does not have access points for removal??), the internal fan does not work and was thought to be a fuse.

I have checked all the fuses in the fuse panel on the right of the steering column, they are all fine, but it does look like that a relay in the centre is missing.

The radio when switched on coms up with four lines ---- no flashes no request for code, which I do not have anyway as none of the documents are in existance, or could not be found.

The ignition keys I have start the car and the immobilser key pad does not appear to have any power to it as there are no lights and is not effecting the running of the vehicle.

Any help would be gratefully recieved as I have no music, cannot immobilse the car and it is a bit hot without the fan.

Markr
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Welcome to the FCF markr!

For your fan problem, have a look in this thread.

Your radio will come out - someone will describe how for you and you may be able to recover the code, depending on the radio model.

The keypad appears to have been disconnected, a standard mod for several reasons. Don't attempt to reconnect without finding out why it was disconnected in the first place and be certain you have the code for it too - it may have been changed from the default code.
Again, someone more familiar with them will describe how but there are threads on the forum dealing with both radio and keypad problems.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Markr,

Best bet for the radio is to kindly ask your local citroen dealer if they could get the code for you from your licence plate.

The radio comes out by unscrewing 2 upward facing screws that can only be seen when the ashtray is pulled out.

Once these are out the plastic surround can be gently pulled away from the bottom first, hinging at the top and then the top jsut pops off very easily.

Have you got AC on your car?

Try removing the fan from the passenger footwell, only a few screws if memory serves and then try running power directly to it and see if it fires up. If it does then at least you know the motor is fine.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Welcome to the FCF :D

When i went to the dealers to get the radio code for an Xm, they said they had to have the code from the back of the radio, so i had to remove it. You might have to do the same.

So the fan does not work on any setting, not even high? As that can be a problems with them.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

IF Its a Blaupunkt radio DONT EVEN waste your time and money going to the dealer!!

These can be decoded FREE!!! and simply too!!

With the radio showing 4 lines it indicates the wrong code has been put in too many times, you NEED to leave the radio on for about 2 hrs constantly with the lines showing, this should then clear and flash up code..

The radio code can be got from the Radios serial number with the aid of a program.

Regards
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

On older Xantias, the code is often written on the radio if you pull it out.... :lol:
Richard W
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

You can download a code calculator program (one that actually works!) from my web page.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

As mentioned by MYGLAREN do not attempt to reconnect the keypad before getting the code as this will reset the immobiliser and then even re-disconnecting it will not allow you to start the car unless you put the code in first my suggestion would be to get hold of another keypad which is proven to be working and the code is known then if you really whant the keypad putting in just swap the originall for the one known to be working as the code is stored in the keypad not the ecu allthough there are severall reasons why it may have ben disconnected in the first place forgetting the code isnt one of them as disconnecting it only works if the engine is running when its disconnected.
Yipee i have the xant lets i hope i keep her this time
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Synergietom wrote:if you really whant the keypad putting in just swap the originall for the one known to be working as the code is stored in the keypad not the ecu
Unfortunatly, it has been proven otherwise. The code is part of the injection pump. Quite sensible really as it wouldn't be a very good immobiliser if someone could just break in and swap the keypad.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The code is not stored in the key pad on ANY model... its a "Dumb" terminal.. that just informs the driver if the correct code is entered by displaying the green light...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
markr

Post by markr »

Thanks to everyone for your replys,

It is good to know there is such a helpful community.

I will try the fixes this weekend.

Regards markr :wink:
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

Ahhhh thanks guys for correcting me im sure id read somewhere that the code was stored in the keypad but obviousley not.
In that case Mark i wouldnt recommend reconecting the keypad untill you are sure of the code.
I had a lot of problems with my synergie keypad and ended up patching in a switch direct to the fuel cut off relay. This did work but is a little inpracticall as i keep forgetting to switch it off before turning the ignition off causing it to over run.
Yipee i have the xant lets i hope i keep her this time