Strong sphere removal tool near Stoke?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Strong sphere removal tool near Stoke?

Post by Dommo »

Hi folks.

I'm in need of a strong sphere removal tool, we keep breaking our (badly) home made tool, but we managed to remove the rear corner spheres with it so I'm wondering if it's just a particularly stiff sphere?

I was wondering if anyone near stoke fancied tackling an accumulator sphere on an Activa?

Thanks.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

It really helps to let PlusGas (or similar) soak into the joint for a couple of days. Mine was very tight but a decent (oil filter) chain wrench (IIRC about £7) from Machine Mart and a 24" breaker bar shifted it (and the rear corner spheres and the Anti-sink sphere). Strap wrenches are useless for the purpose as they have too much 'give' in them. If it won't shift with maximum possible force on the chain wrench, get a second person to give it a mighty 'jar' in the right direction with a big hammer on the end of a length of wood.

While waiting, it's a good idea to cut a piece of hardboard or thin ply to protect the radiator (and your knuckles!) - potentially stops the job getting a whole lot more expensive.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

I've got a Pleiades removal tool - and I'm in Fenton

Send me a message
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Thanks Dave - I'm just about to PM you.

Old Guy - I wasn't aware that using plus gas in the joint was the norm, and luckily I did try some around the joint on the accumulator, however I think we'd already broken our tool for the 100th time by the time we thought to use plus gas!

Good idea with the plywood, we did use some down there yesterday but it was more to protect the rad than our knuckles ;)

Thanks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dom,

Dave's Pleiades too should do the trick and guy's tip on the plywood is excellent, especially when doing the centre hydractive sphere.

I've had some spheres that have defeated even the Pleiades tool.

In this case a cold chisel, punch and 4 lb club hammer is needed, along with Guy's plywood...

Use the chisel to raise a ridge on the sphere, apply the punch and aim some real hard dead blows at it from the hammer. This works a treat!

It is especially good for spheres on flimsy brackets like the hydractives that will bend as you apply force using a conventional tool or strap.

Even with a Pleiades tool, it helps to wallop the end of it with a hammer whilst applying undoing force as it helps jar it free.

I've broken a Pleiades tool :twisted:

On a rear hydractive sphere that needed three ridges raised on it and an hour's bashing :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...