fanbelt / alternator belt, how do i get it loose!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia sx auto
My Cars:

fanbelt / alternator belt, how do i get it loose!!

Post by xantia sx auto »

I have just noticed some chunks out of the fins on my alternator belt, this has worried me as it does the pump which feeds fluid to everything!!!
I had a look and can't find a tensioner that will slacken the belt, it looks like i'll have to loosen the aircon pump but it does not have a tensioner on it like most cars to hold it in place while i tighten it so is there one i'm missing or is it the case of holding the pump with a bar while i do the bolts up on it??
does not look like i can slacken the pump or alternator either,
please help i wanna get this done as don't fancy losing my breaks etc at 90mph!!!
P.s just got new mot so chuffed!!
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

What car and engine is it? I assume it's a Xantia SX Automatic based on your name, but which engine is it? ;)
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

it's a 2 lire petrol 16v
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

On 2.0i engine with manual adjusters, the arrangement is very similar (same adjuster) to the 1.9TD engine. I've uploaded a diagram to my web site.

To remove the old belt, un-tighten the 2 pinch hex socket head bolts [5] then wind off the tension on the adjuster bolt [1].

When you come to put it back, it pays to fully slack the adjuster, push the idler up as far as it will go, then nip up the lower of the two pinch bolts so that the idler doesn't keep dropping down while you're fitting the belt - do make sure you get the correct belt as there are a number of lengths depending on the engine type, age and whether A/C is fitted. The belt tension is about right when you can twist the bottom length (from alternator to c/s pulley) through 90º.

Re-check belt tension after a few hours of running.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

are you sure it's the same it looks different!? but if it is the same how the hell do i get to it as there is no room!
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Dommo wrote:What car and engine is it? I assume it's a Xantia SX Automatic based on your name, but which engine is it? ;)
- Is it MK1 or MK2? Air condition?
(TIP: Edit your signature in your profile, add your car's data :wink:)

If it's MK1 then OldGuy's description would be fine. In later models (MK2) there's an automatic adjuster
which makes the job even more easier.
I use 3/8" tool (insert to number 2) and rotate counter clockwise (number 5) to release the tension on the belt.
Then use a 4mm allen key (insert to number 4) to lock the tensioner in position so that the belt can be removed.

-----------------------------------
Edit:
xantia sx auto wrote:... how the hell do i get to it as there is no room!
1.) Front wheel off
2.) Remove inner protection plastic cover to access the tensioner
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

hi, thanks for that,
mine is a w reg mk2
how do i get to it all as it looks tight, do i need to remove the wheel etc?
also when i pull it back with the drive how do i know when to put the allen key in and can i get it wrong? if i don't have a 3/8 drive is there another way?
thanks for the help, great diagram by the way
regards
Richie
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

just noticed the wheel and plastic comments at the bottom of your post so ignore some of my last message!
thanks
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

xantia sx auto wrote:...when i pull it back with the drive how do i know when to put the allen key in and can i get it wrong?
Allen key was just as an example tool which I use. It can be any metal bar, drill head , screw driver etc. which would fit in hole number 4
AND strong enough to resist against the spring load of the tensioner.
While rotating the tensioner counter clockwise, with the other hand insert the locking item.
Slowly release the rotational force and you'll see that it'll stop in the half way and the belt will still be loose.

When the new belt is routed in (belt is loose!) make sure it is aligned well in the grooves. Once again rotate tensioner a little bit counter clockwise
so that you can remove the locking item. Then slowly release the rotational force and watch that the tensioner tightening the belt.
A final visual check for the belt alignment all the way around and it's ready.
xantia sx auto wrote:...if i don't have a 3/8 drive is there another way?
L-shaped metal rod may be. One end like square and which would fit in hole number 2.
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

all done thanks, but blimey it's tough to pull that tensioner back i needed a bar on my ratchet!!
many thanks
p.s do you know where the ecu for seat airbags is as i'm disabled and need to get them off, will the light stay on the dash if i disconnect the side bags though?
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Great! Image Nice to hear that the job is done :D
xantia sx auto wrote:...p.s do you know where the ecu for seat airbags is as i'm disabled and need to get them off,
will the light stay on the dash if i disconnect the side bags though?
Location of the airbag ECU is around gear stick, height adjuster. It is under that central plastic cover.
Mine doesn't have seat airbag, but only one airbag in steering wheel.
I guess there should be only one ECU for all available airbags in the car.

CitroJim or another forum member might help with this question.
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

apparantly the seat airbags have a different ecu, i was reading it on a post on here but it didn't say where the seat one was!!! i'll post another thread and ask the citro world!!!
cheers all