Xantia front bushes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Thats very odd my dads Mk1 has the flashing airbag light and it passed its MOT not two weeks ago. I even googled "flashing airbag light is it an MOT failure" and the results all say no it is not.

the airbag system cannot be checked during an mot because it cannot be reset after firing.

sounds to me like someone is pulling your chain a bit because they want the work. the elimination process could add up to many hours of work being payed for possibly more than the car is worth.

regards Nigel
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Don't forget Dave is Ireland, where the rules might be a bit different.... :lol:

According to the NCT manual (here) air bag light malfunction is a failure.

Test seems more stringent than UK MOT, as reverse lights are tested as well as air bag lights as above (end esp etc), speedo, wheel nuts etc, brake fluid. Mind you, it is only bi-annually!
Richard W
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I think this is being misinterpreted page 60 clearly states that the malfunction indicator must be in working order, it does not state that the airbags should be in working order, unless you have read a different part of the Nct manual, if so can you point me to it please? it is not mentioned in the "methods of testing & reasons for failure section". I have read this part.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

The NCT is a totally different system to the British MOT. Testing is carried out in dedicated test centres by a company which holds an exclusive national franchise. The company cannot engage in motor vehicle repairs. Staff are forbidden to engage in motor vehicle repairs within a certain radius of a test center (25Km I think) Staff are often moved between centres. A test costs €50, a retest costs €28, and a visual retest such as the airbag lamp is free. Working correctly means illuminating when the ignition is switched on and extinguishing after a short delay as specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
The test is due on the anniversary of first registration so there is no gain in delaying the test (except the chance of being prosecuted)
The testing manual is available online
http://www.ncts.ie
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

From the manual:

ITEM
Malfunction Indicators for Airbags,
Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and
Electronic Braking System (EBS) /
Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)

REASONS FOR FAILURE
1 Not working or indicates a defect in the relevant system.

Pretty unequivocal???? Although I take the point that if the light comes on then goes out as it might be expected to (regardless of why it goes out :wink: ) it should pass - much the same as the UK check for the ABS system.
Richard W
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Got it all sorted :lol:

There was melted wiring which caused the fault,the same for my reversing light and brake lights,all fixed now its like brand new..what a pleasure to drive 8-)
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o