Flat plate heat exchanger fitting to an xantia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I can only really speak for SVO from experience. WVO only from reading the ingredients and process, not usage. I suspect, but don't know for sure, the pump I stripped in the blog was WVO contaminated. I really don't care for it enough to try some.

One thought about that and too much heat is how gooey oil can get when heated. There are some hot-spots in the pump and the co-agulation of matter around those areas was certainly giving resistance to important moving parts. It struck me, I should strip my pump down after a few tankfuls of SVO and see what's inside.

EDIT: I've underestimated what defines WVO. I must have been deluding myself as I can't imagine putting anything thicker than SVO in. :oops:

But I fear I've taken this thread way off topic again, trying to get my opinion/message across. Sorry Nigel. :oops:
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

evilally wrote:Hi mate, I run a FPHE on my 405 1.9TD. I found while the XUD does run on 100% oil with no mods, it is better to do some simple ones. Under normal driving conditions you might not notice, but if you spend much time past 3,000 rpm you should notice an real improvement. My standard car really suffered after 3,500rpm but now will go all the way to the red line :o

I removed the filter housing as it lets in air, just a fact of the bad design exagerated by thick fuel. I've replaced this with a Delphi sandwich type which can be picked up cheaply. The filters are also bigger, better flowing and cheaper. I've just picked up a box of 10 genuine Delphi filters for £18, so it's more than paid for itself. You can also get a head with a built in heat exchanger which might be neater.

I've got a biotuning FPHE. It heats the oil to 70-80 degrees. One of the big advantages here is that hot oil is returned to the tank, which keeps everything clean and the contents of the tank liquid. After 32k on WVO, I haven't had the strainer gum up or any blockages on the lines like a lot of people seem to. A FPHE means there is no risk of the fuel filter waxing in cold weather, as I had happen prior to fitting it when my car ground to a halt on the dual carriage way :shock:

The way I see it is it's not a lot of money and you can remove and refit to your next veg car, or flog on ebay and get most of your money back.
Wow that looks a neat job... given that the standard Xantia one is (imo) always suspect when looking for air leaks etc, I might give that one a go!
Ian
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

no probs Mike you rattle on mate its all good stuff well worth a read anyway, thanks evilally for that filter pic and description.

I was under the impression that the filter housing was heated all of the time, now you have mentioned the fact that the thermostat needs adjustment to keep the heating effect switched on continuesly it does support the case for fitting a heat echanger of some kind without modification to the filter heater. the difference in viscosity of the oil can easily be seen when it is heated to 70 degrees C just openning the lid of my WVO dewatering tanks, I am still of the opinion that the thickness of the fuel must be putting a strain on the bosch pump of some kind esspecially in the winter equally with wvo or svo because it has no anti-freeze in it, adding rug makes very little difference at all, adding diesel is just to damm expensive and for the same amount of dilution as rug, diesel needs to be added at a rato of 35% an fphe will relieve some of this strain but only when the fuel is heated enough. what a shame I cant get and fphe with an electric element installed into it that switches off when the engine is warm.

i guess that this brings forth a case for the heated fuel filter thermostat being modified.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Even after a good nights sleep I still can't get my head round pouring anything thicker than SVO into the tank. :?

I'm reminded of the pump I stripped and would advise you take a good hard look at some of the pictures to see what can happen inside a pump. Later in the thread, you can compare it to Kenny's pump which was spotless inside.

There are hotspots inside where the pump has literally cooked the fuel and it's gummed up vital moving parts, especially those parts that control the timing. This is why I'm strongly against "over" heating the fuel as the pump relies on the fuel to cool it.

Yes, I'm convinced now and agree there is certainly a need to thin out WVO and heat is one option, but bearing in mind the above, I can only advise dilution.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I would definately confirm that WVO is thinner than SVO to begin with.
as it has already been heated and re-heated a number of times.

I am concerned that heating will reduce some of its lubricating properties
but this is why I am checking out the 2 stoke oil as an addative.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.