Several niggly problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Several niggly problems

Post by MikeT »

I'd like some suggestions on several problems and queries I have with my xantia.

First off, I wanted to disable the volumetric sensors so I can leave the windows open for ventilation in this heat.

According to the manual, while the alarm is off (do I assume it's off while the car is unlocked or is there a specific indicator I should observe?), I just need to press the appropriate button and it's LED should light, but mine doesn't. It goes on to say I can disable the siren by holding the same button for two seconds and the LED will flash - but again it doesn't. First suspect is the LED on the button has failed but how likely is that?

Second problem is, I realised my Lexia could be powered through the OBD connector previously but last time I hooked it up, it wouldn't. I had to use a direct to battery cable. I've checked F2 and F15 as good. What else should I check?

Thirdly, my wipers begin the upstroke before parking. It's only a cm or two but it bugs me. Is it "normal" or is something amiss alignment wise? Also, where can I get a rear wiper blade from that doesn't cost silly money? Universal types don't fully contact the hatch rear screen nor do they have the correct fitment.

And lastly, is there any problem using a 5w/40 fully synthetic oil as the manual only states 15w/40?
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Firstly - the LED for the alarm is the one in the drivers side door mirror cover, in the car just by the window, above the electric mirrors adjusters.

Unsure on the lexia question!

Thirdly - all the Xantia's I've seen park their wipers a cm or so up, I think it's so the wipers aren't left loaded in one direction. Unsure about the rear wiper, but if you know anyone with a Halfords trade card, there is a good bet.

Lastly - I also use 5/40 fully synthetic oil in my Activa CT, I don't feel it's an issue as the first number is the thickness of the oil when cold, the second number being the thickness of the oil at 100oC, so in the 5/40 oil should be fine.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

On S2, although the immobiliser/alarm light is in the door, the button to cancel the interior sensor also has an LED and the handbook says that is what should illuminate. Either way, neither come on when I push the button.

I'm sure my S1 didn't have this wiper issue or I would have noticed. It's nothing to worry about but it just niggles me. I'll have to go xantia spotting in the car parks and take a quick peek at their wipers.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike,

The Lexia cannot draw enough power from the OBD socket to run it in my experience. You always need to have the power lead in and connected. I find it best direct to the battery.

The wiper issue is common and sortable but you need to remove the scuttle panel to do it. Once off, adjust the arm on the wiper motor to lie exactly level with the wipers parked. You'll likely see it a few degrees off level. Level it and it'll park perfectly! Pierre, when he built the mechanism must have been lazy!!!

No idea on the alarm. That's MK2 stuff and I don't do MK2s....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Several niggly problems

Post by DickieG »

MikeT wrote:I just need to press the appropriate button and it's LED should light, but mine doesn't.
The button needs to be held down for a couple of seconds, if the LED doesn't illuminate at all it may be down to the O/S sensor having been replaced with one from a S1 car which doesn't have the LED attached.
MikeT wrote:Second problem is, I realised my Lexia could be powered through the OBD connector previously but last time I hooked it up, it wouldn't. I had to use a direct to battery cable. I've checked F2 and F15 as good. What else should I check?
Its always best to power a Lexia via a separate source (as per the instructions) as power is interrupted whenever turning the ignition on/off or starting the engine.
MikeT wrote:Thirdly, my wipers begin the upstroke before parking. It's only a cm or two but it bugs me. Is it "normal" or is something amiss alignment wise?
The problem is down to the crank arm being at the wrong angle as below;

Rather like this;
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with Jim on the LEXIA issue, but i preffer to use the main's to power mine, this way it dose not re/set whilst turning the ignition on and off,

im sure DickieG has said it is possible to sort the wiper parking out without removeing the sckuttle,

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps.

you beat me to it Richard

regards malcolm
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

According to the handbook, I need to just push the button to cancel the VS's (light should be constant) then to cancel the siren, push and hold for 2 seconds (light should flash). It says I should be observing the LED on the button itself, not the one on the O/S/F door. But neither respond anyway.

My Diaxia can be booted off the ODB cable supply, I experimented once after seeing the power light come on before I'd connected the power cable. I prefer direct off the battery of course, it's just the OBD no longer provides that power, meaning something's wrong and I'd like to fix it.

Thanks for wiper arm pics - I won't be scuttle removing though so if it can be done otherwise, please give instructions or is it a matter of just working through the gaps? I take it the short crank arm needs to come off and move a spline or two to make it horizontal?

How about that oil, any problems using fully synth 5w/40 or 5w/30? I always prefer thinnest but not to the point of leaks and increased engine noise.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

MikeT wrote:Thanks for wiper arm pics - I won't be scuttle removing though so if it can be done otherwise, please give instructions or is it a matter of just working through the gaps? I take it the short crank arm needs to come off and move a spline or two to make it horizontal?
Simply poke a socket on an extension through the scuttle, undo the nut then reposition the crank arm.
MikeT wrote:How about that oil, any problems using fully synth 5w/40 or 5w/30? I always prefer thinnest but not to the point of leaks and increased engine noise.
The recommended Total Quartz 9000 fully synthetic oil is 5W/40, I've been using this oil for years in all of my car's apart from the DS.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

DickieG wrote: Simply poke a socket on an extension through the scuttle, undo the nut then reposition the crank arm.
I would say it sounds simple enough but best not to tempt fate with my track record.
MikeT wrote:The recommended Total Quartz 9000 fully synthetic oil is 5W/40, I've been using this oil for years in all of my car's apart from the DS.
Ah! My handbook does recommend Quartz9000, it just failed to give the weight. :roll:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Mike there is no need to completly remove the nut as the motor spindle is tapperd, just loosen the nut, prize the arm free of he tapper, move to the desired position then tighten the nut,

easy peasy

regards malcolm
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thanks Malcolm, that's the sort of tips I need reminding about. I would probably have fully removed the nut and promptly dropped it into an unreachable recess. :P

I've put the old rear wiper back on for now as a universal one looks terrible, bowing out at the ends instead of wrapping the screen. I refuse to pay a tenner for one wiper blade so if anyone's got any cheaper alternatives I'd like to hear about them.

I would still like to get to grips with the volumetric disable button problem. Can I interrogate the ECU with the Lexia to test that particular system? I don't recall seeing such menu options.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i try to avouid looseing my nuts in unaccesable recess if i can help it toooooooo,

GSF and ECP sell double packs of Valeo wiper blades which i never have any probs with, i think they come out around £6 or £8 ish quide the pair,

regards malcolm
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

MikeT wrote:I would still like to get to grips with the volumetric disable button problem. Can I interrogate the ECU with the Lexia to test that particular system? I don't recall seeing such menu options.
Yes you can, go into the CPH menu and you'll find it there.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thank you kindly, sirs!