bouncy suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gingaminga

bouncy suspension

Post by gingaminga »

hi, i have a Citroen xantia 1.9td estate and the suspension is really bouncy. if you sit in the back you get bounced up and down like nobodys business! does anybody know what this is caused by? appreciate any help, jo
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Assuming the suspension height adjuster lever is in the correct position, it means the rear suspension spheres need to be re-gassed or changed. Not a difficult job, if you have mechanical ability and the right tools. Even the spheres are not expensive. :shock:

"suspension height adjuster lever"? It is situated between the front seats and the lever should be set to the thickest line near the middle of the aperture. All the other settings are for non-road use.

By the way, welcome to the forum. Where abouts are you situated?

Handyman :roll:
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

There's a comprehensive guide to changing spheres in the stickies section. Two important points:

NEVER EVER WORK UNDER A XANTIA UNLESS IT IS SOLIDLY SUPPORTED BOTH SIDES ON RAMPS, AXLE-STANDS, ON A LIFT OR OVER A PIT. IF THE HYDRAULIC SUSPENSION DROPS SUDDENLY (IT CAN!) YOU ARE UNLIKELY TO SURVIVE BEING SQUASHED BY OVER A TON OF CITROEN.

It's essential to thoroughly bleed the brakes after changing spheres as the suspension and brakes share the same hydraulic system. Air in Xantia (powered) hydraulic system doesn't cause the classic 'spongy brake pedal' but a heart-stopping (and dangerous) hesitation in response to the brake pedal. You brake, nothing happens, you instinctively shove harder, then the Xantia stands on her nose as the brakes kick in - ABS won't save you. The suspension will also behave strangely.

If you want to print out a set of instructions there's a PDF containing the condensed wisdom of the forum HERE.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
gingaminga

bouncy suspension

Post by gingaminga »

hi, many thanks for the replies! my poor kids get thrown about in the back! at least now i can do something about it! i live in herne bay, kent, cheers again, jo
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a great PDF Guy :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dieselman

Post by Dieselman »

CitroJim wrote:That's a great PDF Guy :D
But somewhat over detailed for changing the rear spheres.

To the O/p the rear spheres will be either very flat or one has a bust diaphragm.
To change them just reverse the car onto ramps, set to high mode and allow to rise then switch off, crack the spheres free with a special tool or decent strap wrench then lower the car to the bottom position AND undo the 12mm bleed screw on the pressure regulator in the engine bay.
A tap around the neck of the sphere will often shock the threads a little and assist with undoing tight spheres.

Unscrew the sphere and recover the rubber O ring, lubricate the new seal with LHM and fit into the recess then screw on the new sphere hand tight only.
Once the spheres are on start the engine and tighten the 12mm bleed screw, raise the car and bleed the back brakes by pressing the brake pedal down a little and undoing the bleed screw.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Could it not also be the height adjusters themselves? Mine went and my sister in law bounced off the roof as we drove home. Was the height sensors.
C'est pas possible!