Xantia Power problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ryanodabees
My Cars:

Xantia Power problem

Post by ryanodabees »

Hi there and thanks for all the information in the past
I am on my 4th Xantia now been running SVO in past and loved the xantia through and through but the one I have just got Estate TD SX 1998 has very little power from 2000-3000 revs. In honesty it does get up to speed but feels gutless compared to previous ones. I can hear the turbo whistle as with others but it doesnt seem to be kicking in so much.

I have always wanted an estate and didnt pay very much but would love to sort this out if anyone can help. Also I need to replace the front spheres if anyone can suggest anywhere cheepp to source these recon or new.

Thanks in advance!
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Try giving it a good service, especially the fuel and air filter. Then report back any differences.

Spheres can be had from GSF.

p.s. I don't suppose this estate of yours has an automatic gearbox, does it?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Ryan I am also on my 4th.. this one is the only one that has been on SVO/WVO .. about 25000 miles now I would think.. it's a hatch but really is feeling very slow these days.. I cant remember really if it's slower than the others, but I spend almost all the time foot to the floor just keeping up with the flow.. it has occasional turns of speed, but there seem just too many gaps in the rev range now :(

I am wondering if my Bosch is slowly being destroyed.... I think I have a spare and with forum help, may rebuild that and fit it to see what difference..

Car engine was rebuilt 2 years ago for what its worth..

John
ryanodabees
My Cars:

Post by ryanodabees »

Thanks guys for the advice,
this estate has not run on any veg/bio yet I just got it yesterday so it shouldnt be anything to do with that but will swap my fuel and air filter off previous one to test.

Incidently the previous ones turbo bust with lots and lots of smoke being produced does anyone know what sort of price it would be to pick up a second hand turbo and get it fitted?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

i had a turbo let go on a 405 estate once.. I think £30-50 for the turbo is a normal price.. fitting is not that hard if you remove inlet manifold, tip (and hold) engine forward (remove rear low engine mount)

I think I could do one in 1 hour at the very least, maybe 2 hours with inevitiable hold ups.. so a garage? £60-100 labour?

there are two types of turbo, a garrett and a KKK, and also turbos from autos are slightly different, although you can easily modify them
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I would advise you get new filters, they're not expensive.

There's some tests you can do to determine if your pump is poorly, John. Simplest is to add some 2-stroke oil or pre-mixed, melted candle wax to the diesel.

Other methods include measuring internal pump pressure, return flow or the resistance of the fast idle lever.

I've got a spare KKK turbo for sale (£30+p&p) if anyone wants it.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Have a look at the little black pipe that goes from the 'flying saucer' on top of the injection pump to the big plastic air pipe to the inter-cooler. The 'flying saucer' increases the fueling as according to the boost pressure (provided by the little pipe). If this pipe is split (mine had a big split underneath where it wasn't visible) the injection pump behaves as though there's no boost pressure and drastically under-fuels the engine, so completely gutless.

The give-away was that the joint between the inlet manifold and the plastic pipe from the inter-cooler was always dirty with a little engine oil but there's no obvious source (the oil is a slight mist in the air leaking from the split pipe. Depending on the direction in which the split points, there'll be a slight oil leak somewhere in the general area of the that has no apparent source. It's a five minute job to take the pipe off and check it.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

boost

Post by dieseldoggy »

Hi i'd also check all the air intake/boost pipework is intact.i had one that had no boost as such it was rubber right angle one on RHD side on intercooler kept popping off.plus if it's leaking you will hear the whistle more.

Ive a turbo from a 19td plus a garret which came from 1.8 ford diesel that they fit on the pug 1.9's which gives you adjustable boost.
If you're still stuck and can't get other one.
xantia 19td estate 96-7