Rear N/S door seal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Penguin
My Cars:

Rear N/S door seal

Post by Penguin »

Chaps

Long time no speak. As you have probably gathered I have another little issue with my lovely Xant. My N/S rear door seal appears to be deteriorating so that it has become sticky and this transfers to the door and makes the door ridiculously difficult to open. I cleaned it all with IPA a couple of months ago and all was fine, but it the problem has resurfaced again. Presumably this is now going to be an ongoing issue that will only be sorted when the rubber is replaced. Are these things easy/cheap to get hold of? Does anyone have a reasonable second hand one available? Are they a simple 'push-fit'? Ooh, lots of questions.

Cheers

Penguin
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Re: Rear N/S door seal

Post by MTND »

Penguin wrote:Chaps

Are these things easy/cheap to get hold of? Does anyone have a reasonable second hand one available? Are they a simple 'push-fit'? Ooh, lots of questions.

Cheers

Penguin
Hi Penguin

Have you tried a Citroen dealer they can search nationwide to see if anyone has one in stock? I recently got nearside and offside front door rubbers new for £10 each?!!!

Try your local and see if they can search then make a cheeky phone call to the dealer who has it in stock to see if they'll sell it cheap to get a small amount of revenue for old stock :D, mines a SX 1995 as well!

Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

I've got one, i presume yours is a hatchback (are they the same between hatch and estate anyone?)

its a simple pushfit.

whereabouts are you located and make me an offer
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for the replies, I had forgotten about this issue. Back in July, we were at my mum's house and it was a hot day. The door had stuck again and I decided to give it a closer examination. I got some 'sticky stuff', previously thought to be either adhesive or some sort of breakdown of the rubber, on to my finger and I noticed it was clear and when I sniffed it there was a very sweet smell. It was in fact sugar - molten sugar. Closer examination of the area revealed a couple of Fox's Glacier Fruits dissolving in the door pocket and dribling down the door to the seal area! Kids and sweets, don't you just love them! Anyway some liberal application of warm soapy water fixed the problem.

I now need to be able to get the same stuff off of the seats of my wife's Subaru. Removed the child seat earlier this week so that I could use the car to commute to work in the dodgy weather, only to find another slowly dissolving boiled sweet underneath. Temporary solution- Make my passenger sit on a towel! Aaarrgggghhh!!!!! :roll:
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I bought an older car from a young woman who'd used it on long roadtrips with an unweaned baby - who obviously got travel sick fairly often.

Carpet went in the bin quite smartly! It was more than a bit rank.

By pure coincidence, eleven years on she has a D Spécial.