Going Backwards.. as normal.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

puddle jumper
My Cars:

Going Backwards.. as normal.

Post by puddle jumper »

Just when my MK1 c5 exclusive had lulled me into its comfort zone and I was just getting used to the spasmodic reminders it sends me about how its feeling, it threw a new one in.The rear parking sensors. Whilst parking last night, engaged reverse beep as normal then nothing. now on engaging reverse i get the normal beep followed by a longer higher pitched beep then still nothing. All looks normal No damage (YEt)

does any one have any troubleshooting tips please .....
My Xantia is dead {at 250K) long live my C5 exclusive...Bing Bong Damaged Tyre Detected... Bing Bong ESP/ASR sys.....bing bloody bong.

01 C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive SE
Past loves 1.9TD Xanta RIP & 1.9D BX
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Is the high pitched noise as if your car is telling you to stop as something is close?

Ive known the sensors go faulty and cause this problem, also if they are dirty or have moved it could also cause the same thing. If they are a Citroen item i think you can buy individual sensors.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
puddle jumper
My Cars:

Post by puddle jumper »

Thank you for the quick reply, No the beep is a higher pitch and diffrent duration than the normal backing bleeps, I was just wondering if the reversing sensor sytem has its own diagnostics Like a blink code sort of thing or do i need the dreaded lexia
My Xantia is dead {at 250K) long live my C5 exclusive...Bing Bong Damaged Tyre Detected... Bing Bong ESP/ASR sys.....bing bloody bong.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you feel the need to hook up to a LEXIA, insted of paying the dealer,

check the the leximap on this forum for your nearest FCF member LEXIA owner as there are a few of use now,

regards malcolm

regards malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Most likely a duff sensor, they usually fail due to water getting into them. Have a look at the sensor plugs behind the bumper first, you will usually see a nice green/white residue. because of where they are they are prone to getting water in them. If they all look ok have a look at the connections on the control unit located in the spare wheel well area, another water trap if you have any leaks.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: Going Backwards.. as normal.

Post by Homer »

puddle jumper wrote:on engaging reverse i get the normal beep followed by a longer higher pitched beep then still nothing.
It's a "failure" indication, to warn you the reversing sensor isn't working.

When I bought the 807 it needed a trim replacing on the rear bumper, while replacing that they broke one of the sensors. While we were waiting for a new sensor we got the same beeps.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I've had this twice on my C5. Each time i've wet a finger and wiped it over each of the 4 sensors and it's cleared the problem.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
puddle jumper
My Cars:

Post by puddle jumper »

well thank you all for your contributions, i will have a look at the wiring when ican get it over the pit at work and report back.. thanks again much appreciated

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You can replace sensors one at a time, by swapping one at a time, you should be able to find the faulty sensor.

I had to replace a sensor on my C5, its post facelift, so it uses an entirely different parking sensor system. On mine, the problem was intermittent and with the readout on the in dash display (post facelift only) I could see which sensor was giving incorrect readings. Swapping the suspect sensor with another sensor from the car moved the problem and confirmed a duff sensor which I then replaced.