Strange AX sound..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Ok. Yesterday when I took the cover off, there were slight fumes, but nothing I would be worried about, and certainly no pressure or 'noises'.
The coolant level is fine, it's not loosing any coolant at all, and the block looks clean ( ie. no leaking oil ), so if anything is leaking / blown, it's going internally.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Good - then all that remains is to try and quieten it and see what happens.
Your oiling of the cams/rockers suggests that the noise is coming from the valve gear and as a first stop I would try adjusting it to see if things improve. I would just then use it and check the oil daily at least until I was certain of the consumption.
jeremy
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Well, today was the day, D day, or should that be C day ?
I didn't have faith in the car this morning, so the other half got a taxi to work, and I drove the car to the station to get the train ( rather than drive ).
Got three miles down the road, to be greeted with a funny high pitched starter motor type noise, and then the engine died a permanent death.
Eventually the AA got out to me ( long story ), and sure enough, the cam had seized, and stripped the cam-belt !
He gave me a few tips on how to get the Xantia bonnet open, and sure enough, they worked.
Oh Joy.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Well thats that sorted then! Now we know whats wrong with it!
[:D]
Another head? Another engine? Or tow it down the Freddie Lakers? [B)]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Well, I had thought about taking some petrol from the tank, and pouring it in the Xantia, and setting them both alight.
I'm getting some more manpower this afternoon, may try and concentrate on the Xantia, since that's in a more complete state at the moment ( just having fun getting the plunger & mounting back on !