citroen zx > v6 xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TehAgent
My Cars:

citroen zx > v6 xantia

Post by TehAgent »

I was having a brain fart the other day, and wondered what id need to change to fit a Xantia V6 engine into a Citroen ZX, i know id have to get the gear box, and the wiring loom, and also the engine its self, although this would fit, as the chassis is the same as a 306, engine mounts are in the same location, and in the 1.9td models its the XU engine. was just wondering what else would be a good idea to change over....
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

You'd need to get the ecu from the donor vehicle too.

The 306 with this V6 engine in it handles like a dog.

The engine needs to be tilted forwards to get the room for the back bank of cylinders in front of the bulkhead. This in turn upsets the weight distribution of the car and means the only thing it is any good at is going fast in a straight line.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ian..

If you want a V6, best to get either a Xantia or 406 Coupe..

I'd quite agree with David that the ZX or 306 is not the best recipient of such an engine. It was never designed for it.

No either is a standard Xantia. Almost everything suspension-wise on a V6 is specific to that model...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

There are a good few V6 306's out there.

They are very quick in a straight line as the guys who do it tend to strip them out too so they are usually running nearly 200bhp per ton.

Most of them tend to panic in the corners though. The 2.0 TCT engine that is fitted to the Activa, XM's and the 406's is a much better engine to go into these as they can be wound up to give over 200bhp and are a much lighter engine which suit the characteristics of the chassis better.

I wouldn't condone ripping one out of an Activa however I do know of someone who is breaking an XM with this engine in it.

If anyone ever sees an activa for sale minus it's engine then let me know as I'm desperate to do a V6 conversion but don't want to butcher a good one.

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Well, was a thought, if i did do it though, id put adjustable coil overs on it. add more weight to the rear, relocate the battery to rear to help, get all 4 corners weighted to see what the weight distribution is and go from there, would need to be a lot lower than what is it at the moment, widen the arches and put some bigger wheels on it.

It would be fun and im sure it could be done properly to so as to get the handling up to par with the performance. would just take a lot of work that's all.

I like the idea of the Mi16 engine in one as well, but please this is just a discussion and the likely hood i could be arsed to do it, is a looong way off lol
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

All of the boys who have done a V6 306 have to put the batteries in the boot as there's not enough room to keep them under the bonnet.

Another thing they need to do is to use a cone filter as there's no room for an air box under there once the V6 lump is under the bonnet.

I'm not trying to talk you out of doing it, just passing on the information that I've picked up over the years on the 306 forums.

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

If you want to mod a ZX, consider one of the earlier 2.0i 16V Xantia XU engines. On tap without mods is 155BHP, these can be moded to give out 190BHP plus. They can also be increased in capacity without too much cost.

The power to weight ratio is agreeable for the ZX body and with a few suspension mods can produce a very lively car.

If you really want to up the power output, you can even buy a bolt-on turbo kit! :shock:

H
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

IIRC they call those the ZX Volcane 16v ;)

Also the 306 GTI and the Ralleye.

Most people are now supercharging instead though as the turbo is very stressful on the internals as they are already running high comp compared to the TCT engines.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi KP, try and find a good Volcane 2.0i, not sure there are many around nowadays.

As for superchargers, they are still pressurizing the input charge, exactly like turbochargers. They still cause heads to come off pistons, what they can also do is stress crankshafts as they can impose flex in a component not designed to work under such conditions. Any compenent that adds stress to an IC engine to gain more power will highlight a weakness in any design.

H
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

V6 I think is too heavy for the front of a xantia let a lone a ZX. But if your not worried about cornering I think it would make an interesting straight line car.
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Pal of mine has a 2.0 8v Volcane 5 door in silver on a P plate with approx
60k on the bodyshell and autobox but the core plug let go and baked the
head. I'm pretty sure he's on the brink of weighing it in even though it's a
nice car albeit one that's stood for a few years! He's now got a Xantia V6
on a V reg but s1 bodyshell!! Yes, that one in magenta with LPG...

Andrew
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

They are about H, sometimes pop up on piston heads and the bay and yes they are rare but worth it, better VFM compared to the 306 and i think maybe a tad lighter?

Yes i know it will stress the ngine up but i think most start at low boost and work up. the bottom ends are meant to be quite strong on them but i have heard of a few now where the crank turns into a tapper even without modding...
personally if your after that power one like that 8v is a good place to start as heads are plentiful for the 8v and easy to recon. then some L&B on the bottom end and then super or turb charge it, or jsut go for nitrous with a 5th injector fitted :)