suspensio probs,new spheres fitted??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

suspensio probs,new spheres fitted??

Post by deano1970 »

hi, I have a citroen xantia 2.0hdi.2 weeks ago I had new sphers fitted all round and the ride home was a joy after nearly banging my head on the roof going over potholes. Anyway,today,I cam out to the car and noticed it was sitting on the floor at the back,and after starting up it did not rise to normal ride height.The only way I could get it to rise is by using the height selector in the car and then it will only rise to full height even if i put it straight back to normal ride height adjustment.to get it to go back down I have to put it to the lowest position and then it will only go right down,no inbetween. I have been told there is a plastic part that sometimes "pops off" and is an easy fix.my spheres are under warranty for three years,but I do not want to take it back as it is quite a journey if it is going to be an easy fix?? any help please???thank you in advance :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Dean and welcome..

Yes, the plastic bit you refer to is the "dogbone" linking the anti-roll bar to the height corrector. It's item 6 in the diagram below.

It will have popped off for sure but that's just a symptom, not the underlying problem.

The problem will be either that the dogbone has a harirline crack in its ballcups or more likely, the height corrector mechanism has become stiff or partially seized and needs a good clean and lubrication.

The car MUST BE SECURELY RAISED ON RAMPS OR AXLE STANDS. NEVER, EVER VENTURE UNDER ANY HYDRAULIC CITROEN UNLESS ADEQUATELY SUPPORTED. THEY CAN KILL IF THE SUSPENSION SUDDENLY DROPS.

Once supported, go under and find the height corrector and it's dogbone. It is fairly accessible.

Intitally give the mechanism a good douse in WD-40 and work it by hand after removing the dogbone. Note that the hydraulic valve has very little movement, just a few mm, and to really "work" the mechanism free it's best to undo the two 11mm bolts holding the valve to the cradle and carefully disengaging it from the mechanism so that the mechanism can be very freely exercised.

Finally grease it with spray grease.

Sometimes the mechanism is so badly seized that the only answer is replacement.

Hope that helps. OBSERVE THE SAFETY WARNING ABOVE!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...