Wet carpet of driver's footwell

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Wet carpet of driver's footwell

Post by MikeT »

The wet patch has returned but I'm staying optimistic, hoping it's water.

Previously I noticed the carpet very sodden and over a couple of months, using a towel, eventually soaked it up so it was dry as best I could determine. This was after the very heavy and prolonged rains we had several months back.

However, I've recently been to the jetwash to blast off years worth of settled dust and dirt and two days later I find the carpet's wet again, where my heels dig in.

I'm going to check the scuttle bonding but if anyone knows of other possible sites for water ingress, I'd appreciate suggestions.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Have you also checked the rear drivers side seat for water. Could it be coming from the boot or somewhere and running down?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

The rear seats are folded down presently due to a 100L or so of cooking oil in the extended boot but I'll check it out asap, thanks for the suggestion.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Maybe employ the method of drainage used by the Botswanian 'mechanics' as seen on Top Gear :twisted:
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I'm sorry to say I find it very difficult to watch that mechanically unsympathetic, overgrown child and baffoon named Jeremy Clarkson wasting thousands (possibly millions by now) of licence-payers money in the name of brain-dead so-called television entertainment.

Don't tell me, they peppered the floor with a shotgun or other such weapon, right?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Spot on. Cars were wrecks to start with though.
It was on last night or I would never have thought of it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, I'm not suggesting you attach the car with a 12-bore shotgun but I will suggest this:

The only way to nail a leak like this, after much (too much :twisted: ) practical experience, is to remove the carpets wholesale and watch where water gathers and then trace it back to source.

Anyway, if the carpets are wet, this is the ONLY way to properly dry them and the car out. The foam underlay can hold gallons and gallons.

Check under the dash/bulkhead membrane (the "Septum") for damp. If it is wet under there than the windscreen is likely the culprit.

I would expect the leak to be on the windscreen and right in the corner. I had this on my Activa project.

Use dyed water in a watering can (dyed using food dye) to help your investigations.

As I say, unless you have the whole interior out, you will not nail it. Removal is easy enough, just have the seats and center console out.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Oh well, as long as it's not engine/suspension fluids entering the car, I can live with it for now. There's too much (junk and SVO) in the car at the moment to access all the carpet and I might be having to remove the centre console in the near future so will leave it and just observe for the time being.

I guess it explains why I saw mould spots all around the base of the rear seats when I folded them down.
KEB1

Post by KEB1 »

I had a similar problem with the ZX though in the passengers foot well. Turned out the the drain pipe in the scuttle under the bonnet was clogged with leaves from the previous owner. Cleared it out with a length of wire and the problem disappeared.
Don't know if this would apply to a Xantia, but it might be worth a look.
1993 ZX 1.4i Aura
1984 2CV6 Club
1972 Dyane 6

Past Citroens

1975 CX
1972 GS Club
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KEB1 wrote: Don't know if this would apply to a Xantia, but it might be worth a look.
Yes, it does and well worth a check. Thanks for that KEB1 :D

Mike, may I dare to suggest you give this issue a high priority please? Reason is, nearly all the electrics are in this area and any long-term moisture could cause you a whole world of pain in due course. I speak from experience!

Remember the big IC01 interconnect is hereabouts...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Ok and thanks, but where's the blower intake and what needs to be disassembled to get there please? :oops:

Looks like half the country (my half!) is going to be rained on tomorrow and I've got a fair few errands to run as well so not sure when I can get to it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

On both sides, you can get at it via the holes in the scuttle trim. Nothing needs to be disassembled.

Carefully extract all debris. If dry you can use a Hoover with a small nozzle.

Look down and you'll see small grilles in the bottoms of the sumps at each end of the bulkhead trough that holds the wiper gear. Water in the trough proper will run into one sump or another, depending on how the car is leaning.

Finally, tip a jug of coloured water into each sump and ensure it immediately runs away and exits into the wheelarch. The grilles are just above the arch liners...

ICO1 is in the offside sump, covered by a plastic cover on the floor of the sump. This plastic cover has the grille in one end that acts as the sump drain.

have a good look and study and all will become clear :D
Jim

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Cheers Jim, very informative as always. I'll get to it asap.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I took a gander today and clearly saw the N/S grill was pretty much clear but on the O/S, there's just a solid scuttle and a very small gap to peer into

Unfortunately, I couldn't see how/where water might enter the cabin but the drain hole is obviously there for a reason.

On reflection, I should have done the water test first but didn't fancy adding to footwell contents so set about clearing leaves as best I could. It looks fairly clear now and a water test shows it flows out the designed hole into the wheel arch area.

Hopefully, that's solved the problem.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Scuttle only lets water into the car via the Blower motor, which is on the Passenger side..

Theres a black cover down there Mike on the drivers side, that covers the Main loom from inside the car to the engine bay, that passes that corner and goes through the inner wing behind the outer wing and down to the front.. there is a drain hole along the edge of the black cover though, but like you, cant see this letting water in..

Is this the S2 car?? Then we can assume no sunroof.. A main door seal prehaps?? Front door etc???

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto