Strut return pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

Strut return pipe

Post by davewithington »

Returning to the Xantia after shopping las Thursday, saw what looked like a puddle behind the right hand front wheel. It was - a reasonably sized pool of LHM. Drove home gently, just a couple of miles, with the "Stop" lights on the dash flickering on acceleration.

Had a look when I got home, the back of the wheelarch was dripping wet. Phoned my knowledgeable BX owning friend (he's got three now - just bought a GTi 16V) who said it would be the rubber strut return pipe, which perishes over time.

And so it was, a big split just on the first right angle bend. I've done a temporary repair by cutting it in two and inserting a short length of brake pipe with a couple of cable ties. This will last 'till I've got the new pipe. I'll change both sides as a precaution.

Might be worthwhile having a look to see if your own pipes are weeping chaps. It's expensive in fluid, not to mention inconvenience when your fluid empties all over the car park
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

These return pipes do preish and split apart easilly.. However, you'll only get fluid out if theres a bad internal strut leak!!

Ive known these pipes to be off and there be a completely dry area there..

Does your car sink at all while the engine is stopped, or igintion off??

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Does go down over time, but it is a "sinker" after all.

Don't suspect an internal leak, as the pipe wasn't flowing all the time, but enough to spray fluid everywhere as it dripped onto the rotating drive shaft
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I must say Paul, every one of these I've met, it bleeds like a stuck pig out of there :lol:

Quite normal for it to do so...

As with real blood, a little LHM goes a very long way, especially, as you say Dave, when the driveshafts get in on the act!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with Paul the bigger the leak from these return pipes, the worse state the bore seal's are,

when the leg internal seal's are good you should only get minimal seapage past them,

regards malcolm
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

When mine had it's last MOT these pipes were put on as advisories because they were perished.
There is no LHM loss from them so I haven't replaced them. Is this really an MOT failure?
95 Xantia 1.9TD SX - Now sold
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if they are leaking LHM (suspension,steering and braking fluid) yes it is an MOT faliur, but advisory if just perished

regards malcolm
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

My temporary repair came apart today, and fluid poured out of the end not connected to the strut - the strut end wasn't leaking at all, so looks like the return harness was draining out

Just for reference, if anyone needs to order one of these, they are the same for both sides, part number 95 030 399, leak back hose.

Your local parts department may not be able to find them on Citroen Service, as they are shown on the fich labelled "Front Springs"

I love the French
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You can get them from GSF cheaper (or you used to be able to... :lol: ) You need to buy a new clip as well, fitting them can be 'interesting' :roll:
Richard W
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Richard, those clips are re-usable but without the specific pliers, it's real PITA! I had to resort to tie-wrapping it back in place (including the original clip) until I could get assistance to refit the original clip.

With the correct tool, though I'd imagine it's an absolute doddle to replace single-handed.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Going over the same ground as here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=

piccies and prices help fill some gaps!!

Andrew
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

I definitely think it'll be a tiewrap for me. I remember those clips from when I did GS CV boots, and they are frustrating.

My BX owning friend (he has three now - just bought a 16 valve) managed the clip with some leather pliers, but he does have some very odd things lying around his workshop.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i use side cutters and or carpenters pinchers,

if i resort to LIGAREX i have the proper tool for that, but before i had that i used to use two pair's of pliers back to back,

regards malcolm
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

If you are intending on using tie-wraps, try not to mangle the original clip as it's shaped to properly support and seal the leak-off hole. You'll see what I mean when it's off but don't throw it away.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you do use cable ties just retain the stainless steel square from the original clip, the steel strap part dose come away easily,

regards malcolm