Berlingo 1.4 Transmission Oil Level

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jono_h

Berlingo 1.4 Transmission Oil Level

Post by jono_h »

I'd really appreciate a quick bit of help. I'm trying to service my 1.4 Berlingo and want to check the transmission oil level, but cannot find the plug anywhere.

Looking through the Haynes manual I have something similar to the MA5 transmission. The drain plug is situated as per the photo in the manual, but the level plug isn't in the end of the gearbox casing (just under the left hand bolt for the end cover).
For the life of me I can't find another square section plug anywhere on the casing. Any ideas from some one with a little more experience?

Thanks, Jon.
Last edited by jono_h on 30 May 2010, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

welcome Jon

i cant think off hand but on a XANT looking at the end of the gear box fom under the N/S wheel arch/chassis rail, on the end that is faceing you there should be a large tin end cover, they dont always have a square/hex hole for a plug tool to fit into the level bung,

and just to the bottom left edge there is a larger bolt than the one's holding the tin end cover on, that should be the level bung, i always use the plastic vent on top for filling, i think on the SAXO you just pull the top off,

regards malcolm
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

Malcolm,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've got the tin cover, which has three retaining bolts, but there is no additional plug for the level.

The aluminium gearbox casing follows the profile of the cover exactly, whereas in the picture it has a 'teardrop' profile that extends below the left hand bolt with the plug in.

I had thought it might be a sealed for life unit, but why have a drain plug still?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It's more or less in the same place on these, but its on the other end (as in nearer the front of the car, the bigger BE gearbox has it at the back nearer the bulkhead)

There is a plug on the side (a larger headed bolt on the tin end cover) that is the combined filler / level plug.

You've already seen the drain plug underneath anyway. :)

Here is a picture (not mine I just found it) of a 106 which is the same gearbox really...

Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

Andy,

Yep it looks just like that, only there's no filler plug as circled! Honestly I've checked and double checked....

There's not even a blank piece of gearbox casing where a drain plug could go, the casing follows the shape of the tin cover.

Trust me to have a special one!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I think we are going to need to see pictures of it ideally then.

You might have a splash shield between wing and gearbox but it should be possible to get a shot from underneath and possibly in the gap without taking the shield off.

It will be (probably) a round plug with a square recess or (less likely) a larger bolt, as in about 17 to 19 mm compared to the 10 to 13 mm ones.

Pics would help us point you where though first. Don't go undoing anything just yet :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

Andy,

Thanks for sticking with me, hopefully these work;

Shot from under the wheel arch showing the tin cover, but no filler

Shot from under the bonnet. I've just found this black pipe, which looks like a filler. There's no dipstick under the cap so I've no idea how you'd check the level, but it looks like you could fill the gearbox through it.
Perhaps I'd have to drain it all out, then fill with a measured amount?

Thanks,

(Sorry they're a bit big -I'll try and resize them)
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

That's exactly the way to do it. Remove the reversing light switch to let the air out as you fill it and it won't 'blow' back. You should have a little black cap that fits loosely on top of that 'pipe' by the way.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that bleck pipe is just the gear box vent/breather, and as the flying clutchman say it shouldheve a push fit cap over it, this is were i fill via but i never feel the need to remove the reversing light switch as i never get blow back,

try removeing the bolt at the front lower end cornner of your tin end cover, it might be a level bung as well as a tin cover retaining bolt,

regards malcolm
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

According to a Citroën manual I have the filler/level plug is on the rear end of the side cover, opposite the one pictured by Spider.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

Thanks Everyone,

I appreciate the time you've taken to reply.

I got the oil changed today by draining it all out, then putting 2 litres back in through the filler.

Still can't find a level though - I had already taken out the end cover bolts one by one, but the threaded holes are blind and don't seem to go through the casing to allow them to act as a level.

Anyway all done for 40k or so!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i know you say you have sorted it, but have you looked on the forward faceing surface of the gear box caseing, as a lot of older citroens use to have it there

regards malcolm
Gold Pirate

Post by Gold Pirate »

absolutely correct, the drain plug is on the forward facing surface of the gearbox, and is filled via the breather. Gearbox uses 2 ltrs and the pukka stuff can be bought conveniently in a 2 ltr bottle from Cit at about £14 quid, which is about the same price as Valvoline 75W80 from Eurocar Parts.