Cambelt - 2.1 TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Cambelt - 2.1 TD

Post by JohnD »

Decided to change the cambelt on my 2.1 Xantia today. First snag I came up against was the crankshaft pulley bolt. After half an hour I was still fighting it. Finally, I resorted to a trick I've used on the BX and 205's. I put a 22mm socket and tommy bar on the nut with a piece of gas pipe extending from the tommybar and wedged on the ground. A quick shot on the starter and the bolt was cracked. On the 2.1, unless the starter is removed it's impossible to reach the hole on the flywheel for locking. Instead I find two paint spots on the crank does just as well. A new auxillary belt was also put on to completed the job. Then it was start-up time. It's always something of a relief to hear the engine sounding as it should.
While I was working on the Xantia, a young Irish bloke came on to the forecourt asking for the loan of a screwdriver 'to fix his car'. I handed him one but after ten minutes I gradually realised he wasn't coming back. B*****d.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Swines aren't they! Many years ago my Dad and his mates used to race a Mini. They were at Brands Hatch doing some work one day when Nigel Mansell (before his F1 days) came into the garage and asked to borrow a spanner. My Dad gave him one from a Britool set he had, and it never came back! My Dad still has the same set more than 20 years later, complete bar one spanner! Can't trust anyone!