Early Xantia HP pump. Same as BX ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Catalin
My Cars:

Early Xantia HP pump. Same as BX ?

Post by Catalin »

I need to know if the HP pump for a early (1993) xantia, Non Hydractive, 1998cc, 89KW it’s the same as a BX HP pump. It is the model with only one high pressure exit.
At first glance looks the same as the pump on my BX, 1905cc.
Can anyone confirm their interchangeability?
Thx very much.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

According to available info, it's different. It has 6 radially mounted pistons, while BX pump has 5 (if I remembered correctly) axially mounted pistons. On BX, it rotates on half the engine speed, while on Xantia, it's about 90% of the engine speed (petrol models). Also, it looks different, so maybe your BX has different pump?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I think you're right there alexx as I remember someone talking about the 5 piston BX pump. It is a common mod on CXs I understand, fitting a BX pump to them due I understand to their higher volume per revolution (?) I know we bought one that had already been done that is much better than the original CX pump as it allows for beautiful power steering even at idle. The Xantia possibly could be a different pump although as alexx says, different countries seem to sometimes get different specs cars particularly at the beginning of a maodel so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that a 5 piston BX pump may have been fitted to early models exported to Romania.
Holland seemed to be the "guinea pigs" for early releases on BXs and some other models they tell me but Romania may have scored a Xantia BX [:D][:D][:D][}:)]
Alan S
Catalin
My Cars:

Post by Catalin »

I didn’t get the chance to actually see the Xantia, it’s owner said they look identical.
I never saw a xantia with only one hp exit, only the double exit one, and always thought that the second type had 6 pistons, 2 for suspension and 4 for steering
Incidentally, i think the xantia was bought in Holland[:D]
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

As I remember, older pump type (6 piston) looks similar to newer one (6+2, not 4+2), but it's a little shorter, and, of course, only 1 HP output.
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

AFAIK they are different. Person who is menager in service where my Xantia goes at least twice a year says that BX HP were better product 'cause Xantia's HP are partly made of sort of plastic and thus much more reported as non durable; especially those HPs on early Xantias.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

A mechanic I used to take my BX to was very scathing about early Xantia pumps - he said the problem was not cured until the "plastic pumps" were discontinued or modified. He told me he had replaced many while maintaining Xantias used as taxis. I don't know how they can be identified, though.
Incidentally, the French "Revue Technique" manual for the diesel BX confidently states that all power-assisted BXs with the DB9 engine made after January '92 were equipped with the 4+2 pump. To the best of my knowledge the BXs sold in the UK weren't equipped this way, even on very late models. I've yet to see one!
David
Jon

Post by Jon »

I agree.
Early Xantia pumps were a bit of a nightmare, tensioning the drivebelt to what most people would regard as normal would result in the early failure of the pump bearings plus resultant leak from the front shaft.
I've never seen a BX with one of these pumps, but did hear of an L reg BX 19D estate so equipped, plus ZX/Xan fuel filter too. Citroen kept making some BX estates long after BX normal production ended in the absence of a Xantia estate at that time.
So a few newer bits crept in when the BX parts had run out I suppose.