Economy mode on Picasso diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Economy mode on Picasso diesel

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi Folks,
Hope someone can help me with this,not so much a problem,I hope,but those in the know maybe can tell me.
I bought an 03 plate (Registered in August 03) Picasso 2.0 hdi Exclusive (90 bhp i think) recently and am happy with it so far but twice recently have come across the dashboard display coming up with 'economy mode' and the battery lamp on the display is also lit,but thats all.I can start the car no problem (the dashboard display reverts back to normal)and it appears to drive fine.Any clues as to why this might be happening.Hopefully its just one of those 'glitches'.
Thanks in advance to your replies.
Steve
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It is (at least in theory) detecting an electrical drain and shuts everything electrical down to conserve battery power.
I often leave my car with the CD player running and it shuts down after 45 minutes. The only way to get anything to work again is to start the engine again.
On unlocking, the lights wont flash, the window opener/closer won't work either.
It's all normal. Is there something using electricity in your car?
I have left the satnav on/charging and it ignores that - could be the current drain is insignificant?
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Thanks for the quick reply Myglaren.Thats interesting and a little worrying(for me anyway).The last time the 'glitch' as I call it happened was today.I parked the car around the garage after having driven 18 miles home from work.I left the passenger and drivers door windows slightly open and went indoors after locking the car with the remote.
Came back to the car 15 min later to go shopping with the other half when the fault/glitch appeared.
I hadn't left anything else on like the radio, air con etc as far as I'm aware.
Indicator lightd flashed as I approached car to drive it away as per normal.
I assume this could be a tiresome fault to trace for something possibly draining the battery?
Would using a Lexia help diagnosing this possible drain?
I thought about disconnecting the battery for a while to see if this was a BSI glitch and help cure it but am unsure whether its worth it.
Yours slightly concerned.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I would wait and see what, if anything, develops. It could just be autostarting for no fathomable reason. A few have reported that "Economy Mode Active" is displayed for no apparent reason.

Be careful disconnecting the battery. Leave it for about 15 minutes after switching off the ignition to save all the data - especially if you have a built in satnav. If you disconnect the battery while the satnav hard drive is running it could wreck it completely.

If you do disconnect the battery then short the leads (not the battery terminals) through a light bulb (doesn't much matter what wattage) for a couple of minutes, then push the leads together in a dead short for another couple of minutes to completely discharge the electrical/electronic systems.

When reconnecting, allow it 10~15 minutes to reset before starting the engine.
There are a few other arcane procedures recommended, how necessary or effective they are is open to question.
You will need to reset your radio stations, time, auto light and wipers. You may need to reset your keys/plips too. Dig into this before you do the battery disconnect in case you get yourself locked out. For the C5s the recommendation is to open the drivers window before doing any of this and after reconnection + suitable wait for re-initialisation, to reach in through the window and turn the key. Opening the door is said to be a bad move.

One day I will go through this rigmarole to see what happens. Won't be any time soon unless there is a dire need for it.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Thanks for your input Myglaren.
Since I last posted nothing else /no repeat episode has materialised.Probably just glitch.Ive taken in what you have said and will consider the removal of the battery leads carefully should I need to do so in the future.
One other thing did come up,again I'm sure it was just a glitch ,and that was the dash flashed up that the engine was overtemperature and to stop immediately .I had only just started the car which had been rested for approxiamately 2 hours.I didnt bother stopping the car and it hasn't repeated that glitch again. :roll:

Steve

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

steviewonder7 wrote: One other thing did come up,again I'm sure it was just a glitch ,and that was the dash flashed up that the engine was overtemperature and to stop immediately .I had only just started the car which had been rested for approxiamately 2 hours.I didnt bother stopping the car and it hasn't repeated that glitch again. :roll:

Steve
That one has been mentioned a time or two. Most likely cause is poor or corroded connections to the temperature sensor.
Is your battery OK?
Low battery voltage can cause no end of warnings.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Funny you should say that,....as I dont know how long my car was standing for at the dealers where I purchased it from.
I gave it a thought the other day when these glitches started.Being's though said battery is under the passenger seat
I havent got around to giving it a once over.Obviously a slightly weak or failing battery is not going exactly show itself up in our present warmish weather.
Car starts first time everytime day /night /morning or noon.
Perhaps as you seem to hint/suggest these glitches could be down to the battery coming to the end of its life :cry: perhaps.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it has been stood in the dealers for a while with just stop/starting and short trips and you haven't done many miles then it could just be a bit discharged.

A decent long run with minimal electrical equipment running might be just what it needs.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

On my 807 "economy mode" is displayed when you've been sat with the ignition on for 30 mins, after which it shuts down all the electrics to save the battery from draining.

For instance if you are sitting listening to the radio whilst waiting for your better half to do a quick bit of shopping. :P

Everything comes back after switching the ignition off and on.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Homer wrote:
And starting the engine - surely?
If so - it's like my C5.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

JohnD wrote:
Homer wrote:
If so - it's like my C5.
Yes my Picasso switches into eco mode after 30mins, you then cant use the radio. You cant still use the electric windows and the blowers work when you turn the key to 2 clicks. Just not the radio, untill you start the car again.
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Homer and Gav425....I'll keep those thoughts in mind,even though the circumstances you describe have not happened to me........yet :wink:
The other half doesn't often go shopping on her todd as she always requires someone to do the donkey work and carry all the shopping etc. :)

cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

JohnD wrote:
Homer wrote:
If so - it's like my C5.
Hardly surprising the BSI which is the bit of kit responsible for all of this is essentially the same item.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The fact that the battery lamp is on suggests that the ignition may be swtiched on to accessory position. Not sure how that can happen with the key out, but I have read in various places that the ign switch on the Picasso is a bit weak, so maybe that is the cause of the troubles.... Having said that, multiplexed cars are nto tolerant of low battery voltages, and although there can be plenty of juice to crank the engine a low voltage can cause all sorts of mayhem.
Richard W
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

RichardW wrote:The fact that the battery lamp is on suggests that the ignition may be swtiched on to accessory position.
That can happen when the car is in eco-mode, depending on the model some of the battery lights even flash.