Anyone fitted the Citroen USB Box?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Anyone fitted the Citroen USB Box?

Post by vborovic »

Here you go, like promised, the visual reference for the USB BOX, in my opinion the best way to approach the installation of the USB, AUX & iPOD cable, without using the glove compartment and being as close as possible to the original (the radio units that do have the USB connection in the handrest). Once again, my situation is the RNEG (myWay, Harman Becker unit), and the USB BOX is connected to the CD changer input, and the cable goes to the handrest (through the center console), rather than the suggested glove compartment suggestion (per the installation instructions). Since I didn't want the entire USB BOX unit to be visible, but to be able to access its features, I've found on eBay the closest possible solution (Car Dash Mount Installation USB/3.5mm 1/8 Aux Accessory Extension Cable), which I've used as an extension to the USB BOX (just the usb cable, the AUX is not useable for now, problems with active detection of the jack-in on the USB BOX ... not possible to extend just as is):

The problem is that the extended AUX connection is not working, since the USB BOX has an active source detection (when you plug in into a connector, it uses that as the source), but with defined priorities (AUX > iPOD > USB). I currently have 2 thing plugged in to the USB BOX, one is the USB cable (which isn't active as the AUX, just by mechanical detection) and the iPOD cable. So, my usb stick is always connected, and it will be used as the source for music, when I plug in the iPod, it will override the USB, and it will be used as the source (one source at a time). The song names will not be displayed (which doesn't bother me really, I usually drive with the map always displayed on the screen, so the song titles aren't stabbing me in the eye).

The USB BOX was placed behind the manual parking brake, not fixed, just stuck in the metal casing, it isn't moving so far, all the cables (which are approx. 2 m long!) from the lighter style adapter are tightly rolled and stuck next to the brake lever. This is visible in the images that follow. I will think about the possible solution with the AUX cable and enabling the detection of the input, but don't think it possible without tampering with the USB BOX directly (which I don't want to do at this point), and since I won't be using the AUX (the audio L/R input is still in the glove compartment, in working state, if I enable that source in the radio menu).

The iPOD cable was my idea, just a slight touch out of the usual, pulling the cable under the main connector. The rubber padding L profile that is found in the handrest was modified (read: made a hole through), keeping it close to a perfect circle, and placing the cable and the socket through it. The black plastic panel (which houses the OBD2 connector at the top, also needed to have the original hole widened a bit).

[step by step procedure] ...

Image Image Image Image Image

[final look]

My conclusion is that this solution is near perfect, in a technical view. Some newer units (more expensive) are placing the AUX/USB connector in the handrest by default installation (no iPod connection!), I was thinking of getting that socket separately, but it is being connected with non-standard cable connection (regarding the connection socket), which would require further modification to the cable, before connecting it to the USB BOX.

Any questions, comments, feel free to ask me, while I'm still here on the forum ... :)
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Images re-uploaded to a new image hosting, they should be displayed now ...
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Just an update, I've decided to try and contact PSA directly about some technical questions regarding the software of the USB BOX, if I receive a reply from them, I'll let you know how it goes. Basically, it is about the already mentioned idea about how (if it is possible) to provide the radio units with the ID3 information (not just displaying Track 1, Track 2 ...)
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I was given a reply from Citroen Croatia, that they've been notified from the PSA Group abut my query and that they (Citroen) can't help me since the USB BOX is not an actual Citroen product, and have advised me to contact the unit smanufacturer - Magneti Marelli ... Which I did, and we'll see how it goes from there.